PUNO TO LA PAZ


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
May 23rd 2012
Published: May 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

LAKE TITICACALAKE TITICACALAKE TITICACA

VIEW OF LAKE AND TROUT FARMS
23.5.2012

On the road by 8.00a.m. Very scenic drive mostly following the shores of Lake Titicaca as it shores are shared with Peru and Bolivia. Very pretty snow capped peaks, blue skys and quite warm but they all think it is very cold, no freeze so not cold for us. Hit the border about 11.00a.m. our Bolivian guide met us and we changed all our money etc before crossing the border. It is not a very common border where we are crossing at Desaguardero but it all went pretty well, one of the officers was on a power trip but apart from that all good. Elder did his own thing and met us in the van on the Bolivian side, they don't get on too well with Peru and don't really like the tour guides so he has to act like he isn't one otherwise has to pay big bribes. From there we set off still following Lake Titicaca for a while, then visited the ancient ruins of Tiahuanaco which was very interesting and they are still digging up archeological sites here - very low key we were able to walk all over the place and not many tourists here, this dating back to 8th century AD. Then had lunch in a restaurant??!!, but all good, choice of trout, chicken, llama and many sides to choose from, also quinoa vege soup, bread and spicy dips $5 head - we were impressed as it didn't look great. A couple of hours from here to La Paz, very scenic pushing along the highlands with snow capped mountains all the way. So La Paz is a mental case as far as traffic is concerned, but a stunning view of it as we approached from the highlands (4,100 metres or 13,600' above sea level) down to La Paz in the valley below. Arrived at our Hotel named La Gloria for 2 nights with a big day of exploring tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

HELLO BOLIVIAHELLO BOLIVIA
HELLO BOLIVIA

BORDER CROSSING
LUNCHLUNCH
LUNCH

BUILDING DOESN"T LOOK MUCH BUT FOOD WAS GREAT
MOUNTAIN 20 k's FROM LA PAZMOUNTAIN 20 k's FROM LA PAZ
MOUNTAIN 20 k's FROM LA PAZ

6,100metres or 20,000' above sea level


24th May 2012

this looked like a holiday of life time iv enjoyed all the blog reg and i are going to cairns on 27 june for week kris will fly over on friday have the weekend with us.Spoke with uncle les today his going to ring up and see if he can get us more of that nice red we might have to pick it up its well worth the drive keep in touch xxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb