La Paz, WMDR, Ghost Ride


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 5th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

La Paz is very different from Cusco. It is a huge city with tons of traffic and people. Nearly every street is a market and you can buy absolutly anything you want. It also is a lot less touristy which is really nice. The food though is not that great. I have found a couple cafes with good sandwiches and some thai and middle eastern food that is good, but there are probably a million fried chicken places and some sketchy street food. The other day I went to El Alto, which is a couple miles out of La Paz and is the largest street market (black market) in south america. We walked for about three hours and never had to retrace our steps. I bought some new shoes for about 4 dollars.

Once Sabine arrived we shopped around the city a bit and then went and watched Cholita Wrestling which is really fake wrestling with stupid costumes, it was pretty interesting. The next day we rode on the World´s Most Dangerous Road. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunatly the weather wasnt too great so we couldn´t see off the edge, but it was still a little scary. About two weeks before a guy from England road off the edge and died..one of our guides was the first one to the scene, it was pretty sad hearing about it. But everyone in our group survived 😊 At the end of the ride we stopped at La Senda Verde which is an animal refuge. We were able to play with the monkeys and birds and had a really good lunch.

On wed I decided to do another bike ride with Gravity, called the Ghost Ride. This ride was more technical and a lot more fun. You were able to play around on the bike a lot more since there were no giant cliffs to fall off of. There was some good single track riding and some fast dirt road riding. It made me really excited to get more into mountain biking once I get back to the states. At the end of this ride we stopped at a ´haunted´ castle for lunch. I got photo cds from each ride so there will be more pics posted later.

Tomorrow is a big festival in the city and me and a couple guys I met are going to try and get tickets to the Bolivia vs. Argentina soccer game, so that should be pretty crazy. Then once my other friend gets into town we are going to head off to the salt flats for a few days and then I am going to climb up H. Potosi and then head home! Time has gone by so fast!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

witch marketwitch market
witch market

dried dead baby llamas... :(
Part of the roadPart of the road
Part of the road

On the ghost ride we rode down into this valley


11th June 2009

your trip sounds amazing! i hope you are enjoying every moment, even the sketchy ones. it's great to see pictures. you'll have to tell me what not to miss in la paz in case i go back . . . disfruta todo, especially the salt flats; i know you'll love them. jess

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb