la paz keeps calling us back!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
February 9th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

hey!

All good this end, hows tricks in the uk? all we hear about off you lot these days is snow, snow, snow... or else, moaning about the lack of snow. here it is sunny most of the time but there has been quite a few storms too.

we stayed one night on isla del sol and it was pretty incredible, minus the huge climb from the cove to the village which nearly had our hearts bleeding from lack of oxygen (its even higher than la paz). once we got up to the hostel it was so worth it though, ive never seen a view like it... huge expanse of lake, isla de la luna (which seems to float), then huge snow peaked mountains topped off with very low clouds. it just looked like an oil painting.

so now we are back in la paz... never made it to the cholita wrestling last weekend but managed last night. most of it was like WWE wrestling... very fake, so bad its so good! it got really funny when the women got involved... dressed in full cholita attire. lots of old women in the audience getting really rowdy and screaming at the wrestlers! hilarious!

a few days ago we did a really strange thing, we went to the ceremony for the start of the new constitution under the new bolivian president, Evo Morales. we were the only gringos there and i think we were a bit of a novelty, as we had bolivian flags etc. we watched Evo doing his speach, a reall bench mark for the bolivian people, especially the indigenous communities, who will now get a lot more power with this new leader, who is indigenous himself. the streets were packed with people. a huge event and a massive turning point in bolivian politics. there is a real feeling of hope in this country at the moment.

we are staying in adventure brew hostel, which has an all you can eat pancake breakfast! oh yeah! it is so much quieter than the wild rover hostel we were at last weekend. but sadly, it is time to leave la paz and we are heading about 3 hours north west to a town called coroico. lush green jungle and a much lower altitude so looks like we are going back to the heat!

Adios amigos! x






Advertisement



2nd March 2009

Hey from across the Pacific
Lovely to get your blog. I am on my last days here in Victoria and flying out to Sydney then up to Queensland as from Thursday. Have been utterly spoilt by the family and friends and lots of social stuff. (despite the heat and fires) We are just back from a 700Km drive to Canberra for a 2 day trip A wonderful city. We must get together some time this summer. Well done both WHAT an adventure

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb