loco copacabana!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
February 4th 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

we are in Copacabana, on the shores of lake titicaca... google earth it, its really quite incredible here. there´s the best of both... water and mountains. we are on a peninsula sticking out into the lake, but the peninsula is cut off by the peruvian border, so we had to get a boat over the copacabana. we went on a little boat, whilst the bus came over after us on what i can only describe as a glorified plank!

when we got here on monday the whole town was mid fiesta... crazy loco fiesta! dave was in the hostel (as the altitude is affecting him a lot more than me, and he´s been pretty ill) whilst i went for a treck around town... didnt last that long as felt pretty threatened by the drunken throng. when the bolivians party, they really party! even old cholita women passed out on the street!

The next day revealed something even more bizarre... namely, the blessing of the cars. in the main plaza, a huge procession of cars decorated with flowers, confetti, ribbons.... and firecrackers! meanwhile priests and nuns made their way around blessing the cars with incense and champagne! Like i said this place is loco!

Tomorrow we are getting a boat 12km out to isla del sol (island of the sun) and isla de la luna (island of the moon), where the inca´s believe the sun and the moon were created. These islands are incredibly important in Andean folklaw.

Will keep you posted, but not sure if there will be internet on the island. x

Advertisement



5th February 2009

the hottest spot north of Havana
Barry Manilow wrote quite a jaunty little ditty about the place. I'd be careful in the bars if I were you, there might be jealous men with guns out to get revenge on their wayward women. Lots of love from Jude xxx

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb