La Paz & the Worlds Most Dangerous Road


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 25th 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bolivia is a great country. The Capital is of La Paz is no exception. From the city You can do anything and Everything. The City it self is amazing. The city is at a altitude of 3660m and that's not the only reason it takes your breath away. Coming from Peru you enter the city through a high plateau, very flat. Then the earth drops out from under you and there is the city. All throughout the valley and cling to the canyon walls spilling spectacularly downwards. With the snow top peaks of the Andes and Mt Illamani (6402m) looming above it.

Worlds most Dangerous Road:
I also went on a down hill mountain biking trip from La Paz to Coroico. Over 64km downhill with a vertical descent of 3345m. Starting at a altitude of 4640m and ending at 1295m. A 39km portion of this trail is where it gets its reputation. There has been over 9000 deaths there since the road was built in the 1930's. The gravel road is very narrow and clings to the side of the cliff wall with a drop on the there side of up to 600m. If your thinking of doing this trip I recommend you find a good agencies. I went with Downhill Madness (www.madness-bolivia.com) they where very professional and had the best bikes on the road (Rocky Mountain Bikes Made in Canada).

I had a great time in La Paz and the Mountain Biking was defiantly a adrenaline rush.

Cheers
Tim


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 125; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb