The World´s Most Dangerous Road


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 8th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

WMDRWMDRWMDR

Dont look down!!
Yesterday we survived our bike ride down the worlds most dangerous road. This road is not all hype as 2 people have died in the last few months. We went with the longest running and most regarded company, Gravity. This company was started by a kiwi 10 years ago. Our trip was to have an extra dimension as we learnt the rough guide was going to be joining as to film an episode of one of their TV series so look out for us (channel 5, July, UK, soon to be sold elsewhere)

The world´s most dangerous road or as locals call it, road of death is only 3.5m wide with cliff edges that drop 600m. As you wind down through the clouds along the bumpy gravel road you are surrounded by amazing scenery. The ride in total was 66km and you drop in altitude from a freezing 4800m to a tropical 1185m where we had lunch and rested with the monkeys at an animal refuge. All in all there were no fatalities but there were several rather nasty falls from others in the group. Our drive back to La Paz was back up the same road and seeing as 26 vehicles per year disappear over the edge, we found this more nerve racking than the actual ride but after 3 hours we made it back safely to La Paz.

This morning we borded a bus to Copacabana and now sit on the beutiful shores of Lake Titicaca. Of what a beautiful spot!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Pleased this wasnt our tripPleased this wasnt our trip
Pleased this wasnt our trip

From their archive
Hence the nameHence the name
Hence the name

from thier Archive also..
Monkey BusinessMonkey Business
Monkey Business

Chilling in the Animal Refuge
Bye BusBye Bus
Bye Bus

Travelling to Copacabana our Bus took a different boat


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb