DAY 14


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
July 16th 2007
Published: November 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

La PazLa PazLa Paz

with Bolivian flag in the fore.
Today we started by organising to get some our laundry sorted nearby the hostel. Explored La Paz at a leisurely pace. Went in to the city and changed some money from the money vendor next to Iglesia de San Francisco (church). This imposing church is a blend of mestizo and Spanish baroque styles, and is located on the plaza San Francisco. San Francisco church was built in 1549 and is considered to be one of the foremost examples of Spanish architecture. The front is decorated with fanciful carvings of birds, masks, pine cones in a mixture of Spanish and Indian traditions.
City view were simply amazing, the city seems to shaped like a large bowl, the city center being the bottom indise of the bowl. Standing in the city center looking up and around, one is amazed by the millions of houses built precariously of land that seems to be eroding away from the bottom of the houses.

Next stop was the "Witches Market" we had read about. For shoppers, the Mercado de Brujas, or "Witches' Market," is a traditional Aymara marketplace offering a cornucopia of amulets, charms, exotic spices, magic elixirs, and herbal remedies. There were more handicraft stalls
UsUsUs

at the "witches market"
than witches stall in reality. Did come across one - complete with Llama foetus, herbs, dried frogs etc - all very curious and interesting. Anshu bought a pair of sunnies that really suited her =)
Had some lunch in the market. Back to the hostel after collecting our laundry. Our room had been changed as requested - this room was much better. Spent the evening catching up on emails and having dinner at the hostel. This was a brillant idea, the hostel cooked fresh and different meals every day. Very delicious.

Trivia - La Paz is the the highest city in the world with an altitude of 3,600 meters (11,811 feet).!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Iglesia de San FranciscoIglesia de San Francisco
Iglesia de San Francisco

view from "witches Market"
Closer lookCloser look
Closer look

at the San Francisco church.
MeMe
Me

at San Francisco Church.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb