Its heating up in Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
December 6th 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

March on the main squareMarch on the main squareMarch on the main square

These people were marching against the way the people in the rural areas treat dogs and cats.
Over the last couple of weeks the political situation in Bolivia has spiced itself up and has got us all wondering about the future of Bolivia. There's been talk of autonomy in the east and even the possibility of a civil war. The situation has turned worse recently because the government of Bolivia decided it was about time to change the constitution, something which they have been promising since before they were voted into government. President Evo Morales, Bolivia´s first indigenous leader, and his supporters approved a new draft constitution for Bolivia which allows for the Presidents indefinate reelection in a move to bring about a ´democratic revolution´. It seems that Evo is following the footsteps of his communist Venezuelan friend, Hugo Chavez, which is a fascinating thing to watch.

The draft of the constitution has got his opponents and half the country riled up and sparked violent protests in Sucre a couple of weekends ago. From all accounts it seems to have been a weekend of violence and rampage, to the extent that it caused the police to be evacuated! Four people died and hundreds were injured in the protests and the newspapers show photos of lines of burnt vehicles, ransacking and many protestors. The controversy surrounding the constitution seems to have further polarised the country, racially and regionally. Last week half the country went on strike showing their disapproval of the constitution.

During the chaos in Sucre 120 prisoners escaped from a prison (and photos show them being helped over the wall by the police!). According to the prisons services director 70 of them have returned voluntarily... which I thought was very responsible of them. But really, who knows...

Its pretty exciting and little scary to think what might happen (especially when you throw into the mix Evo´s anti-foreigner stance). At this stage things seems to have quieted down... and in Bolivia this means protests and strikes every couple of days, but with most people continuing on with life regardless. The constitution will be put to a national referendum soon, and no doubt things will get heated again. So far, La Paz has been pretty quiet... perhaps because Evo gets a majority of his support from the people of El Alto (a very big ´suburb´of La Paz) so there´s no reason for them to go out marching. Although, these people are Aymara and generally very poor... and very willing to fight to the end since they have nothing to lose.

Its interesting to be in the country and to watch it unfold, but at the same time its sad to see so much division in a country that is already so unstable and poor. We are hoping that rather than inciting division, Evo Morales is able to unite the country and create the conditions for growth and development. But in the meantime please keep Bolivia in your thoughts and prayers...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The seat of government in La Paz guarantees national unityThe seat of government in La Paz guarantees national unity
The seat of government in La Paz guarantees national unity

There's talk about moving the government to Sucre... but the people of La Paz aren't too impressed


6th December 2007

Chavez challenged
Chavez has not been able to get the constitution changed to allow him to rule for life so hopefully Marales can't either. It has never worked for the people especially the poor. Interesting times!
8th December 2007

safe....
Ok, the main thing is that you guys stay safe and keep the beautiful baby bellingham baby safe. thinking of you guys. miss you loads xxxx

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb