Not in Sucre anymore


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
May 30th 2007
Published: May 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

La Paz is remarkable. A place like no other. It is buried in a bowl in the Andes, with the suburbs of the city stretching up into the heights of the mountains. The geography of La Paz is difficult to get to grips with, but there seems to be one central road that runs down its centre, and off that sprout a million different tiny side streets, heading off into the clouds. On these streets are crammed numerous different markets and side stalls, selling anything from saltenas to llama foetuses to toothpaste to digital cameras. My hotel is very well placed, on the street of the witches market. Here you really can buy anything. There are racks and racks of herbs that I am dying to ask what they are for, little pendants and necklaces for luck (I bought an owl), huge stuffed eagles and vultures and crocodiles and animals god knows what they are, and of course those llama foetuses. Hundreds of them, dried and leather-like with eyes that stare at you. And there are also the llama babies (stuffed) and the llama skulls. Arghhh! Scary. But very cool. Ive just been wandering around for the last few days, its a wonderful city just to be in, to watch. I was going to go to a few museums, but wasnt really motivated. Just been plodding along slowly, trying to aclimatise...if I walk at western speed the dizziness and sickness and wheezing start! So thats why everyone here walks so slowly. But I like it, its nice not being able to go fast. Very tranquillo. Taking your time. I went to see pirates of the caribbean 3 yesterday! Just to relax even more! Was great. Anyway, thats me and la paz. I think Im off to Cochabamba tomorrow with lisa and galen, new adventures!

Advertisement



10th June 2007

Am completely jealous, it sounds amazing! Please please buy me something from the market ;-)

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb