Potosi, La Paz and Dangerous Times


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 22nd 2007
Published: April 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=-hNO65a_awM][youtube=77nWdMDFcY8]
Bolivian Wrestling

Dynamite Mark...
Mining in Potosi

Onward to Potosi, a Silver mining town. Not sure you can call it a highlight but definately the most eye-opening experience was taking a guided trip down into the mines. Definately not set up as a tourist excursion, these mines are fully functioning and the conditions were unbelivable - like stepping back in time to the 18th Century.. However, Lucy, Darren, Mark and Fran bravely tackled the claustrophobia, altitude, poisonous gases and general difficulty of navegating our way through the middle of a mountain in metre wide tunnels and got to see some of the miners at work. It was pretty humbling watching boys as young as 13 spending 11 hours a day digging and shovelling the rocks that even Darren and Mark couldn't manage to do for more than 5 minutes...
A few of the less brave in our group suffered varying degrees of panic attacks but we all made it out alive. Then came the highlight of Mark´s life when he got to prepare and let off some dynamite. Little did we know that this same dynamite is being used continuously down the mines - and no one is quite sure exactly where and when they are being let off. No wonder we had to sign those disclaimers...

La Paz

Ignored the urban myths and mountain biked down what is supposedly "The World's Most Dangerous Road'. We didn't believe the hype, we were wrong. Intense 70 km ride from the heights of La Paz down to a small town called Coroico through cloud forest on gravel paths about 4 foot wide next to sheer drops of 100's of meters. Turns out those urban myths were'nt so mythical...The road has claimed a few lives and many casualties. Mark added to the statistics with a rather special high-speed tumble. Luckily no broken bones, even more luckily he didn't go over the edge.

Live Bolivian wrestling.

WWF style wrestling, Bolivian style. i.e no rules and definitely no health and safety to comply with. Mickey Mouse and spiderman made appearances as did Batman. The woman also got i8nvolved though. Watching a middle'aged Bolivian lady somersault through a wooden door in the middle of the ring is as surreal as it gets. There was full audience participation , albeit involuntary and we left covered in the wrestler's blood (real or fake , we're not too sure) and beer (wrestlers didn't like us).

Despite the dangerous activities we got involved in, we absolutely loved la Paz. Hectic city, great markets and so cheap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

PotosiPotosi
Potosi

Our guide ¨The master of disaster" buying dynamite....
PotosiPotosi
Potosi

Ready to go down the mine
PotosiPotosi
Potosi

Down the mine..


29th April 2007

DANGEROUS ROADS
Hi Mark and Fran, So pleased you survived your bike tumble Mark, trust you to fall of!! The mines seemed incredible those poor children having to work down there and they are only Darryl's age. Enjoy the Inca trail I'm sure you both will look after each other Love Mum and Ems xxxxxxxxx
10th May 2007

Hi
HI, i miss you both xxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb