Cocaine Fields, Horses and More Death Road


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Coroico
January 17th 2006
Published: January 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Coroico City StreetsCoroico City StreetsCoroico City Streets

A beautiful mountain paradise, with 6 restaurants all sharing the same kitchen, it doesn´t matter which restaurant you step into, they all have the same menu and the same cook!
Well, with several days more in Coroica, things started off slowly. We found an awesome place to stay (which I mentioned in the previous blog) but for quite some time we just sat around talking about what to do with our remaining 4 days before dying on our return back up death road. Statistically one person dies on the road every four days, so we tried to play the odds and head back in daylight, not on the weekend, and in a small bus not a large one (if you saw the road caving away under a small bus you´d understand).

Regardless of all that, I´m done talking about death road, but certainly not done thinking about it. Last Saturday we went to the ranch in town, got some horses, road to the cocaine fields, visited a village and had ourselves a grand time. Although really rainy we toughed it out, my horse was a real bitch and wouldn´t stop eating, but they gave me a stick so I beat it and we had ourselves and understanding.

Having not rode a horse since I was... not too sure 10? This new horse (Queen) wasn´t anything like my old horse
Mountain ParadiseMountain ParadiseMountain Paradise

Coroico was beautiful, I´m glad we went, wish they had a better road in!
back at 108 Ranch (Cinnamon) but after some time (a lot of fighting) we made ammends and everything was O.K.

Cocaine fields were a little bit anticlimatic, where I pictured a big processing plant with guys patrolling and firring off submachine guns at renegade CIA agents and us ridding through on horses to quel the conflict, it turned out to be... well just a field with plants.

After ridding all day in the rain we went for a hot slate bath at the top of our bolivian mountain and basically scalded ourselves in a macho contest of who could stay in the (near) boiling water the longest, finally we submitted and cooled the water with a provided hose. A couple bottles of wine later we were kicked out where we returned to our pad and hit the sack. Remaining days were spent eating pizza, drinking freshly squeezed O.J. (jord broke our juicer) trying to work out with elastic bands, and making fun of each other. Somehow Jord managed to make his pants stink so bad that, well I can´t even describe the stench. He blames it on his horse, but we all knew better than that.

Ryan
Fog CityFog CityFog City

Coroico, the land of dreams and roads of death, peeking out of the mist!
slept under a beautiful blouse for five days (will post picture) and we had a great time, spirits and morale are at an all time high after making it back along death road with no deaths. However I did try to take a picture out the window and a woman with a baby behind me started to strike me which sucked, I closed the window but things were really awkward after that (sorry random bolivian woman).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ryans blouseRyans blouse
Ryans blouse

We´re not sure why, but apparently one hangs blouses on the wall in Bolivia.
Bolivian PadBolivian Pad
Bolivian Pad

Where we hung out in the mountains for awhile, rained a lot!
Eaten Alive!Eaten Alive!
Eaten Alive!

We could not confirm what ate my face, but we think it was the same thing that made Jords pants smell.


18th January 2006

Are you even Vancouverites anymore??
Oh no, poor babies had to endure 5 WHOLE days of rain. Oh wait! We back home were just in competition to beat the record of 28 straight days of rain...only falling short by one day I believe. Suck it up.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb