copacabana - isla de sol


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
December 28th 2013
Published: December 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

December 28




Today was big decision day, to stay put here or go to La Paz. Since we were feeling lazy we decided to stay and spend the morning watching TV. In the afternoon then we set off to isla de Sol to checkout what all the hype is about. We had a really nice pizza at Pueblo Viejo, which took a long time to arrive, but was one of the good pizza we had in long time.

After paying 30 bol each for ferry ticket, we were off to the island. The ferry ride is long as the boat goes really slow, you could probably swim faster. There are no real views on the way, just the main landmass and lot of water. It's hard to believe this is a lake. At the island we paid 5bol fee to enter. The island is uphill from the start. So we climbed the stairs in hope for some views or ruins. But there were none nearby. The ruins are quite inland and would require you to stay there. Not much views either. On the way back we stopped at Sun temple but it was quite disappointing also. Overall mostly
sun templesun templesun temple

on isla de sol
a wasted trip.

Back in copacabana we did some more shopping and then hunted for food. We found a nice place with curry, quoniua salad, soup and garlic bread. Curry had raw haldi on top which made it very hard to eat. I felt like telling the cook that spices need to be cooked, don't spoil name of curry like this. Rest of the food was good. I had classic quinoa salad with their tasty version of quinoa, and then some quinoa soup.


December 29




We are finally at the last leg of this trip. After deciding to stay 3 nights in copacabana, we are headed to Santiago, Chile from LaPaz. In the morning we took 'local' bus to LA Paz which was quite similar to the tourist bus we took on the way here but costed only 25bl. Against all the scary stories on the web, this bus was quite comfortable and was quite on time. They also dropped us mid-way very close to airport. This has been a pattern in Bolivia, someone keeps spreading rumors about place not being safe, don't take local buses etc. We at many places went against the advice and had great time. I have a feeling that these are mostly spread by travel companies who just want to make a profit out of scared tourists. At airport now waiting to fly to Santiago, looking forward to lower altitudes, though we had absolutely great time here. La Paz is definitely our type of place, full of culture, its own life. I now wish we had spent even more time there to absorb the culture some more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb