Copacabana & Isla Del Sol


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

view from our hotel roomview from our hotel roomview from our hotel room

the town and the lake
Hi again,

We have been waiting in this small town of Copacabana for 3 days for a bank to open. There are no ATMs to speak of, so we have been surviving on the good will of the hotel manager, and the pittance we were able to change at the pervian border. Luckily, things here are about half the cost of what they were in Peru, so we aren´t suffering too much.

This place is really small, quiet, and cute. And right on lake Titicaca, which is beautiful and sparking. I think we must have one of the best hotel rooms in the entire town (see pics). 25 bucks a night including breakfast, but its damn near luxurious. Yesterday we went on an all day outing to Isla Del Sol, what is thought to be the birthplace of the Incas and the Sun. We took a long long hike across the island, so today we are taking it easy.

More when we get to La Paz..

Paz,

S&S


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

blessing the carsblessing the cars
blessing the cars

the locals bless their vehicles with flowers and ribbon, and buy small figurines of cars and houses, that they may have real cars and houses in the year to come.
lunchlunch
lunch

costing a total of 10 bucks for us both, I had lemon trout from lake titicaca (it tasted good, but slightly muddy) Stephen had a saucy beef dish with all kinds of veggies)
Isla Del SolIsla Del Sol
Isla Del Sol

Taken while on our hike


25th May 2009

blessings
Hi Steban Christie wants to know if he can bless your truck, she is very creative and promisse to do a good job. Mom
25th May 2009

Copacabana
Loved the picture of the Saints in the bus, so tipical! The blessing of the car- they know the "Secret", of you eating rubber with bits of rubber! What a experience! love mom
26th May 2009

Haha
So I have been doing my own food experimenting right here at home without even trying to. Unlike u, who won't eat anything alive, I on other hand just swallowed a tiny flying insect. If I did It u should! So what if it happened to me complete and utter accident, it still counts. Hey, and since u guys can't get to the bank, take advantage and get ur protein from the exotic bugs around there. Haha
26th May 2009

I love the photo of you with the bread pudding! (Lors played fetch with MopMop yesterday, he seemed to really enjoy himself.) You are running a great blog thus far! We've seen locals, animals, natural terrain, architecture, and most importantly...cheap food! We're excited to hear how La Paz treats you! And lastly..Stephen- you liked the head cheese? Come on now, are you for real?
29th May 2009

Of course he liked the head cheese! Who wouldn't? ;) Great snaps guys (really), but did you sing the appropriate bit of Barry Manilow upon your arrival in Copa?
29th May 2009

curse manilow!
I couldn´t get stephen to stop humming that damn tune the whole time we were there
30th May 2009

Thank you!
For taking such good care of our baby!!
18th June 2009

I have been reading your blog, very interesting. Could you tell me the name of your hotel on Lake Titicaca as I will also be travelling there. You stayed in LaPaz for quite awhile. I am sometimes not the bravest backpacker but I am travelling with my neice. Are there any concerns or things to be aware of in LaPaz as I was told it is kind of sketchy. It sounds like you are having an amazing time.
19th June 2009

Hi Chris
Thanks for the comment! Yes, we are having a really wonderful time. And we LOVED La Paz, it is such an interesting, quirky city. We were there for close to 2 weeks and nothing really sketchy ever happened to us.. My opinion is that it is a city and therefore any of the normal cityish precautions should be taken.. We avoided walking in unpopulated areas at night or alone. And we kept a tight arm around our belongings. Also, don´t be shy about riding the mini buses... They are fantastic, and once you get into the rythym, you can get almost anywhere for about 25 cents! Good luck and enjoy! PS. the hotel we stayed at in Copacbana lake titicaca was called Hotel Otama. We paid 25 dollars a night, but our room was soo nice, it was worth it. They have cheaper rooms too. Great breakfast included!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb