Her name was Lola....


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
October 11th 2007
Published: October 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Copacabana, on the shores of Lake Titicaca (we still can´t say that name without giggling childishly!) after a few days in the nation´s capital La Paz. The difference between the towns was as day is to night!

Copacabana is a small town which centres around tourism with most visitors using the town as a base to visit Isla de Sol, or the Island of the Sun, which is just a short boat ride away.

We had been recommended to stay at a hostel called La Cupula which is nestled at the base of a hill to one side of the town. The views of Copacabana from La Cupola were lovely and we spent our afternoons lounging in a hammock watching people take swan-shaped paddle boats out for a spin on Lake Titicaca.

La Cupula is owned by a German gentleman and is a beautiful hostel surrounded by green lawns (which are a real treat to see in Bolivia) overlooking the town. The staff were lovely and we ate at the restaurant there for every breakfast and dinner! The food was fantastic and since we´ve left we´re missing the muesli with the fresh fruit on
La CupulaLa CupulaLa Cupula

Our green slice of heaven
top for breakfast!

Our main activity in Copacabana was a trip to Isla de Sol. After an hour boat ride through Lake Titicaca, which is truly amazing in its enormity, we arrived at the north end of the island to view the Incan ruins.

We then walked the length of the island to catch the boat back to Copacabana. Unfortunately, the path leading to the Incan ruins at the northern end of the island is not well marked and we were unable to find them.

As we were on a strict time-limit to catch the afternoon boat back to Copacabana, we abandoned our search and started on our walk along the spine of the island. The views were phenomenal and the water was a perfect sapphire colour.

Unfortunately, our trip to Isla de Sol was ruined by the feeling that tourists visiting the island were taken advantage of by the island residents, especially the children. During our long walk along the island, we were repeatedly approached by children asking if we wanted to take their photo in exchange for money or lollies.

I can´t blame the children however, as obviously the problem is perpetuated by
Bus barge!Bus barge!Bus barge!

Looking a little precarious
tourists. Despite this, it was disturbing to see children as young as 5 years old completely alone in the middle of the island with a llama tied to them hoping a tourist would photograph them in exchange for money. It was absolutely appalling to see and by the end of the day we were glad to leave the island to return to Copacabana.

Copacabana is our last stop in Bolivia before crossing the border into Peru. Next stop, Arequipa!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Incan Ruins or...Incan Ruins or...
Incan Ruins or...

... half-finished local housing. We´re never sure in this country!
Madness at dockingMadness at docking
Madness at docking

Tourists are surrounded by children begging for lollies or money


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb