Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
August 30th 2007
Published: August 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset over Lake TiticacaSunset over Lake TiticacaSunset over Lake Titicaca

the view from our hotel room
From Cusco we went on a fantastically scenic bus ride to Puno and Lake Titicaca (at nearly 4,000 above sea level the world largest high level lake). It was here that disaster struck as we discovered we has had some thing stolen - most worryingly Andy´s five pound swimmer shorts.

We put this behind us and got a boat trip to the famous floating islands (interesting but very commercial) and Taquile, another traditional island with a Mediterrranean feel. There they served us some great fish for lunch, Clare once again went hungry. On the island, they have an elected govt of 25 men who tell you where you will be eating when you arrive on the island. They also have an interesting dating system - the men wear different types of hats and the women different coloured dresses to at all times symbalise whether they are single, in a relationship or married. A bit like a university traffic light party....

Over the border into Bolivia and the original Copacabana we failed to realise how cheap everything was and booked a hotel at our usual rate only to find we had a suite and superb view of the lake. Not complaining we took advantage to relax with some delightful Bolivian wine before starting a three day, two night hike with rucksacks full of tent, sleeping bags, mats etc. to the Isla del Sol (mythical birthpace of the incas). The first day was a long one, accompanied for 18kms by a local dog, Arnold (as Clare christened him), and made longer as Andy took us on a 4km unscheduled detour (i.e., got lost). The next two days were mercifully shorter with magnificent views although the lugging round of the tent etc. felt pretty pointless when we found hostels to stay in at 3pounds a night.

Back in Peru we are now in Arequipa relaxing in the sun before a Colca Canyon (a bigger version of the grand canyon) trip over the weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

View from the isla del solView from the isla del sol
View from the isla del sol

of the moon island and the Cordilliera Real
Santa Catalina monastry, ArequipaSanta Catalina monastry, Arequipa
Santa Catalina monastry, Arequipa

with Clare in the background


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb