Island of the Sun


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spent the day on an island on lake Titicaca today. This is where the Inca civilisation is supposed to have started with the sun (and spiritual god) rising from a rock on the island..............yeah whatever!!

We got to and from the island on the worlds slowest boat ride, you could see where we were going when it set off but it still took 2 hours. We spent the day hiking at altitude from one end of the island to the other, which took around 4 hours and a lot of energy. Based on the fact that the lack of oxygen means you are out of breath fastening your shoe-laces, you can imagine.

After a last night in the honeymoon suite we boarded an eventful bus to Cusco in Peru which seemed to take forever. We had to change buses in Puno and pick up passengers in towns that looked like they had been hit by an earthquake (in reality they probably had). The highlight was one of the numerous security checks, where the police boarded the bus and dragged a Bolivian woman off with some illegal goods, but only after a 30 second wrestling match in the isle with the police man falling on Rach! We also watched a film about man eating sheep in New Zealand, i will look up the title when i get back as it´s one all must see!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb