...and then we walked into Bolivia


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took an overnight bus from Cusco to Copacabana, Bolivia on lake Titicaca (don´t worry dad, it was safe!). We learnt before we left that the song ¨Copacabana¨is named after a beach in Brazil, which is named after the town in Bolivia...just some interesting trivia.

Anyways, when you get to the border, you get off the bus, the bus crosses and then there is a process where you get a stamp saying you are leaving Peru, you walk by foot across the border, and then get a stamp to enter Bolivia, and re-board the bus....it is a very unique way of border crossing in our opinion, since many locals are simply walking across at their leisure.

Copacabana is a VERY small town. The only thing that is really there is the beautiful scenary, which of course includes the lake, and a bunch of hippies who seem to spend their time hanging out and making jewelley.

We had a very relaxed time in the town. Played cards, sat at cafes by the water, watched sunsets, ate some really good trout....very strenuous days.

We took an overnight trip to ¨Isla del Sol¨(island of the sun). The island is 4000m
Bolivian Cordillera Negro
above sea level. We walked from one side of the island to the other, which took three hours, and reminded us how hard it is to walk up hill at high altitudes. It was worth it though. The island was so quiet, and peaceful, with beautiful views of the lake and the snow covered mountains of Bolivia in the distance.

The best part about Bolivia.....it was so CHEAP. We were staying in a private room, with a washroom, a continental breakfast included, for only $5 each. It really helped us stay on budget.

So, that was our Bolivian experience. Thank you Hartley for pointing out that because we were in Bolivia, and not Peru, this is officially a¨Blog¨entry (not Plog).

From Copacabana the plan was to go back to Peru, to the second largest city, Arequipa. This was not as easy as planned to do strikes in both Bolivia and Peru. Basically, a journey that should have taken 8 hours or so, took 24....but we are better for it and now know several bus stations quite well!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



21st July 2007

UnBolivable
Sounds like your trip is UnBolivable, you got to visit Bolivia. I was impressed and could not Bolieve what a bargain the country is. Glad to hear that you moved from Bolivianos to back to Peruvian Sol and soil. Continue on with your South America journey Hartley
21st July 2007

You know your parents
I started reading the plog to Dad/Bob and we both said "I thought they said no overnight buses!" We both laughed when we read your next comment. Glad the strikes are ending. Your trip sounds fabulous. Everyone in Winnipeg is now reading your plog. Stay safe, enjoy. Love Ma/Donna
24th July 2007

Greetings Adinavirus and Jonathan
Wow, your trip seems amazing! The weather sounds mildly insane at times, but I'm happy to hear you're surviving using your ill hiking skillz. Impressive blog! ahem, plog, now that you're back in peru :)

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb