Update


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a long day. After work and Spanish classes, we all worked on our fundraising project until about midnight. But things are going well, we´re starting to get the first reactions, overwhelmingly positive ones. I thought I would periodically write about what we spend the donations on, so that you know where your money is going. Andre and Mariska had a bit of a headstart and already raised a few hundred Euros within their family circle. Next to the medication bought on Saturday, they paid for a weeks worth of gasoline for the bus yesterday. I believe they still have a bit left over and tomorrow the doctor (the head guy of the foundation right now) is supposed to bring in a priority list so we have an idea of what needs to be paid most urgently.

And now some fun facts about life here ;-):

Yesterday we encountered first pig feet in the mornign and then cow stomach in the afternoon in the foundation kitchen, which made me feel very grateful for being (mostly) vegetarian. Nicole, having been a vegetarian for 8 years and feeling a bit sick that day, was especially happy about the discovery!

Life here is ridiculously cheap for foreigners of wealthier countries. A handfull of bananas cost 50 centavos (7 US cents); a taxi ride from the Castillos to Villa Tunari (3 km) 1 Boliviano (14 US cents), a good restaurant meal 20 Bolivianos ($2.50) and so forth. The only things that are somewhat expensive are imported goods, such as mosquito repellent or tooth paste, and internet, which is 2-3x as expensive as in Cochabamb. Oh yeah, alcoholic beverages and bottled water are a luxary for many locals as well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb