The Gang


Advertisement
Published: March 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Philip 'the diving dutchman' Van Gruitheysen- aged 19, likes to sail, good fun to go out with, always up for most things, a nutcase....he wanted to bike with me down the death road outside of la paz (usually i would do it after the other things ive done but will save that for next time!), the other half of Charlotte, the organized one, not too sure what to do with his life but is thinking about medicine, works in a health centre and is the best at spanish. P.S: a Spy of the famous 4/5 (will explain at the end).PPS: He has a remarkable talent to pee for around 2 minutes....then boasts about it afterwards when Adam and I cant beat it...how does he know? he times us.

Adam 'I like my bed' Bensimhon- Aged 23, likes to sleep, gets upset when he doesnt sleep at least 8 hours a night, detests all hostels here for not having functioning bathrooms (will explain later), hates to travel at night, hates to rush around, is not very enthusiastic about going out, my room mate, an awesome friend, a great polar opposite to me, when he gets going he is the most fun out of everyone and wouldn't be as happy if i was living with one of the others. P.S a major in the famous 4/5

Melanie 'constantly ill' Schweitzer- aged 24, currently working in an orphanage, is constantly ill with parasites or bacterial infections, always cold, can always count on her going out and dancing the night away, good dancer, German, stubborn and at times infuriating but it wouldn't be the same without her!!! Also she has a habit of saying the funniest things...only yesterday 'You're Jesus' I was quite surprised with her being catholic and all (though it does make sense). A complete space cadet and we often wait 2 minutes for replies and rarely finished stories...but a laugh nonetheless! P.S a Brigadier in the famous 4/5

Charlotte ---- off you ------- Mayhew- aged 23, Kentish Lass who waved the British flag with me here in Bolivia for 2 months or so before leaving us to travel solo. Brilliant fun, jumps on men when drunk, other half to Philip, enjoys a night out and is rarely one to go home, emotional, funny, got a dirty laugh which makes it hysterical, understands british humour, finds americans depressing, always has an idea when there's nothing to do. P.s Produces propaganda and thus builds morale for the famous 4/5

Famous 4/5- this is an elite travelling/social group amongst the volunteers, we are the ones who go where the others are too lazy to go, we are the ones who push ourselves to the brink of exhaustion for that extra dance in the club knowing we wont sleep before work tomorrow or the next night out, we are the ones (philip, melanie, and I) who dress up as court jesters and dance through cochabamba during carnaval only to get pelted and sprayed for 6 hours and still come out laughing, we are the ones who never say no (except for Adam....but he still comes) to travelling all night and all day to see some far off city in Bolivia.

Adam's definitions:
Competence is like gold in this country, its expensive and hard to find
a functioning bathroom is one with a functioning shower curtain, this a curtain that keeps the water inside the tub, and thus leaves the floor after a shower dry. It also has a functioning shower head, this provides hot water any time you want and sprays the water straight down at a nice pressure (yes Adam is precious).


The others....

Tineke- Dutch, 19, was originally in the Chapare jungle, which is a shame because she is great fun, has a cute accent, great dancer and would have been a member in the 4/5.
Lianne- Dutch, also a volunteer in Chapare, unfortunately got ill in oruro during carnaval but seems to be better now and is good fun.
Michael- American, got on really well with him the few times ive met him, good fun and has a good taste in music. Cant fault that.
Elias Burgess- 18, American, despite his shortcomings he does have some good points about him...i just cant think of them, no thats awful of me, he is fun when hes not trying to be the centre of attention.
Eva- German, 39, the mother hen, really nice and a total sweetheart, always looking out for the young ones but it a free spirit at heart. loves to salsa and if she likes the club will happily stay out until it shuts to dance.
Isabel- German, 19 and on another planet! she is great fun but miss independent and much prefers going solo than being in a group, we see her when shes about and when we do shes usually the party!
Franciska- German, very quite and crochets the whole time, again dont know much about her but she likes salsa and thats about it...a strange one.
Heather- 22, American, at first she was the one that everyone couldnt figure out, she complained about us not talking to her when she didnt talk, but she eventually came out of her shell and was accepted into the group often being the one to suggest going out by the end of it all, we were all a bit sad when she left to go on her solo travels.

well thats the lot! Tea bag and I still have a lot to report back on but who knows when that will be!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb