Sucre


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
December 4th 2005
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The tombsThe tombsThe tombs

The tombs are usually rentedby the families for 5,10 or 30 years....

Days 21, 22 & 23



After a couple of flights we were in Sucre, a beautiful small city with white colonial buildings. Our hotel was gorgeous and had a big court yard in the middle of it. Sucre is the richest city in Bolivia and it shows!!

The next day we went on a city tour to the cemetry - sounds odd but it was really interesting as all the tombs are encased over ground or in monuments and then went to see some dinosaur tracks. It was unbelievable, there were these 80 million year old dinosaur tracks that were found when digging in a concrete factory, they're still digging away next to them and they're not protected in any way!! We then visited a textiles museum - again doesn't sound that enthralling but it was so interesting, we got to see how the local women weave these spectacular tapestries by hand. We then had lunch overlooking the city and headed back to chill.

After a massive rain storm the weather took a turn for the worse and so did Stuart. He was really sick - probably cos he brushed his teeth with the tap water. We went
The MonumentsThe MonumentsThe Monuments

...if the family has enough money they can buy a plot of land and build a monument like tis where the tombs can be placed.
for a couple of short wanders and bought a really nice hand made blanket. We haggled him down and he gave us a couple of little inca amulets to keep us safe while we travel. The people here are so warm and friendly. In the evening went for something to eat as Stuart felt a bit better you´ll all be pleased to know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Dino TracksDino Tracks
Dino Tracks

The tracks are veritical on the face of the cutting. They use to be horrizontal before a shift in the earth plates created the Andès 25 million years ago.
WeavingWeaving
Weaving

One piece of work can take up to 3 months to make, working for about 3 hours a day. It detail in them is amazing and it is all done by eye, no guide!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb