Who Doesn't Love a Good Protest March?


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
November 22nd 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post


After our time in La Paz and the pampas we took an overnight bus to Sucre. We didn´t have much planned for Sucre, which worked out well, since the city was shut for a large part of our stay.

The people of Sucre regularly hold protests and marches to become the official capital of Bolivia, which was why we spent our first day wandering around wondering why all the stores and cafes were closed. The town regularly shuts down and the people prepare and gather for a march and patriotic speeches in the main plaza late in the day.

The next day everything was back to normal...everyone was working, the banks were open, the roads weren´t blocked.

But not too fast! Dont get too comfortable being able to get a sandwich or use the internet, because the next day everything was shut again and another parade was in the works. This one, however, wasn´t about politics or how much better Sucre is than La Paz...this was just a good ole parade of dancers, costumes, and loud music that lasted...oh, about 8 hours. It was like Gay Pride, Mardi Gras, and the 4th of July rolled into one (without the beer, men in short shorts, and bead throwing). We ended up watching the parade for awhile, found a place for dinner (which was empty save for us) and then watched more of the parade. We were back at the hostal at about 11pm and could still hear the fireworks and drumming of the parade out on the streets.

If the Bolivians aren´t mad and shutting down the city then their happy and shutting down the city. You just never know what to expect when you get into a new town...



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

A SOUTH AMERICAN PHEOMENONA SOUTH AMERICAN PHEOMENON
A SOUTH AMERICAN PHEOMENON

...that we're not really into...that's the bathroom with just a drain in the middle and no shower curtain
SUCRE CAPITAL PLENASUCRE CAPITAL PLENA
SUCRE CAPITAL PLENA

our pictures can't capture how many people there really were
BEGINNING OF PARADEBEGINNING OF PARADE
BEGINNING OF PARADE

at around 4pm
SUCRE MARKETSUCRE MARKET
SUCRE MARKET

sarah doesn't walk in that section.
SUCRE MARKETSUCRE MARKET
SUCRE MARKET

the displays are all like works of art.


22nd November 2007

GIVE THANKS!
i LOVE THE VIDEOS! THERE ARE GREAT!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb