Learning spanish in Sucre - La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
August 3rd 2007
Published: August 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SucreSucreSucre

The only part of the Independence day parade I (narelle) saw as I was in bed all day with food poisoning!
We arived in Sucre ready to take on a short course in Spanish. As it had quickly come to our attention that without it we woud be paying through the nose for everything. We found a decent hostel and deliberated over a teacher. Vivi(bibi) and Patricia seemed fine and we soon settled in for a week of study. Its common to study here because its really cheap, about $4 per lesson. Two days in, Nell fell ill with Salmolnella.. not uncommon in Bolivia. But she battled as hard as possible and didn't miss a page of homework but did miss a day of school. With Spanish absorbed, we took on the locals and ate Nell's favourite lunches for only 7b's($1). Thee courses including dessert.
At the family house of where we studied, an old round brick bread making oven sat collecting dust and junk. I mentioned what a waste it would be not to fire it up.....A pizza night was in order....so the Help (it's not uncommon to have maids, nannies etc..) was set to cleaning mode and we went off in search of ingredients. To cut a long story short ,we ate good ,wood smoked pizza and drank red wine
SucreSucreSucre

Paul, Patricia and I
under a starry night in Sucre.
Next stop La Paz by overnight bus. We arrived weary, to the largest city in Bolivia. It was certainly the largest we had seen in a while. Jam packed and busy, cars and mini vans wizz past at speed, creating traffic mayhem. We settled into an inexpensive, and out of the way backpackers. And set off in search of the famed "Witches Market" where all sorts of oddity could be bought in the steep streets of La Paz. If you were in need of a dried Llama feotus you were in the right place. I didn't have the space in my pack, so we settled for the usual Alpaca clothing and postcards. Above the market, on near vertical cobblestone streets, is the black market, a fine place to buy all manner of clothes and shoes, and is mostly where the locals shop ....but it can be a dodgy place for travellers. We only spent a short time in La Paz, and managed to leave unscathed....although to make sure we left with a camera we donĀ“t have any photos to prove it. Paul.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb