A Flavour of Sucre


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bolivian LandscapeBolivian LandscapeBolivian Landscape

Granite rock
A nice leisurely start and an enjoyable cooked breakfast. At 11am took a taxi to Sucre, our first experience of paved roads in Bolivia - amazing! However we were told that the taxi drivers tend to drive extremely fast so were taught the Spanish for 'slow down', however fortunately our driver was very good. We stopped half-way at some market stalls, the entire journey took approximately 3 hours. The scenery along the way was beautiful, shiny granite impressive towering mountains, streams and quaint bridges, some greenery also. Bolivia has some unusual landscapes. We passed some locals being filmed dancing on the rocks, as they hid when they saw our bus. More people washing clothes in streams, shantytowns and lots of donkeys.

Then we arrived at Hotel Sucre, which had a beautiful courtyard, with white-washed arches and decorated with flowers. We decided to do some long awaited laundry, however the laundry lady often forgets to give you all your underwear back, or tries to give you someone else's items, and also managed to destroy one of Ellie's tops! Nick decided to do some exploring of the town, which consisted of lots of whitewashed terracotta buildings, a much more prosperous area than Potosi, swamped with university students and numerous libraries. However still many beggars also lining the streets. The town has a rich-colonial heritage, upmarket shops and diverse eateries.

People decided to kick back and relax tonight as our first opportunity so far. Nick visited a local student restaurant to sample some pancakes with a few of the group. Ellie stayed back watching T.V. as suffering from a stomach upset!

The following day we were both set back by stomach upsets, must be the good old South American diet! We spent most of the day resting in our hotel room watching T.V., a shame as wished to explore Sucre further. Managed to do a few jobs, ate crackers and decided to sleep it off, with some help from Josie's medical cabinet!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb