The Amazon Jungle


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Beni Department » Rurrenabaque
August 29th 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nothing seems to be simple in South America as we found out when we arranged our trip to Rurrenabaque in the Amazon. Everything was sorted for the next morning, our flight was at 4pm in the afternoon and we were ready to chill out until then. However, after returning to our hostel that night we were informed that there would be a road block that will prevent us from getting to the airport unless we leave at 6am in the morning before it starts.

We got to the airport early the following morning and said our goodbyes to Bim who was flying home ready to start his job as a young professional. After hanging around La Paz airport for most of the day Gareth, Turner and myself eventually boarded our tiny plane to Rurrenabaque. This plane was tiny and it didn't feel the most stable when airborne, we were told the views would be amazing and were fighting to see who would sit by the window. It turned out that the 18 seater plane was so small everyone had a window to take in the views of the amazon.

After a nervous landing on a grass runway we arrived in Rurrenabaque, a small town with little to offer but a convenient starting point for the jungle and pampas tours.

We started our 3 day pampas tour of the Amazon the following morning. Our group for the 3 days consisted of 2 German girls, a very annoying French guy and our guide Rene. After a long bumpy Jeep ride to our river boat we set off down the River Beni to our home for the next 3 days. From the boat we saw caimans, turtles, pink dolphins, capybaras, monkeys, eagles, herons, tucans and hundreds of alligators - a truly amazing experience. That evening we watched the sun set over the amazon with a cold beer before heading back to our home. Rene had a few problems getting the engine of our river boat to start and when Gareth asked him if he had any oars he laughed and said he had just dropped our only oar in the aligator infested waters. Gareth and I used the wooden seats of the boats to paddle the rest of the way down the River Beni in complete darkness hoping not to disturb the gators nearby.

Another early morning and a beautiful sunrise, we were soon in the fields of the amazon hunting for anacondas and cobras. Walking in our wellies it wasn't long before Rene spotted an anaconda amongst the reeds and was holding it up for all to see. Rene passed me the 2 meter snake to hold which was surprisingly heavy and scary especiallly after seeing its fangs bite Rene's boot.

That afternoon was spent swimming with pink dolphins in the River Beni. Rene assured me this was safe and that I wouldn't get attacked by pirranhas or the hundreds of alligators I had previously seen because the dolphins would protect me. It didn't take long for me and Turner to get out after not seeing much of our dolphin bodyguards and it felt more comforting watching the pink dolphins and the alligators bathing on the banks from our boat.

During our last day we went pirranha fishing not far from where we had previously been swimming. Using beef steak as bait it was amazing to see the pirranhas rip the steak to shreads after just a second of it being in the river. We manged to catch quite a few between us and it was funny trying to get the deadly bastards off the hook without them trying to take some of your finger off.

We all had an excellent 3 days and managed to arrive back to La Paz with all limbs.

Advertisement



4th September 2006

Sounds amazing boys!!! I suppose your johnson was always safe from those pirahnas though Peters, not enough meat on there to satisfy a gnat let alone a man eating fish!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peace

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb