Welcome to the jungle.....


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise over the PampasSunrise over the PampasSunrise over the Pampas

On our last day we got up at 5 to go watch the sunrise. Unfortunately Zoe was a little preoccupied by the thousands of mosquitos, but the view was stunning anyway!
....and we´ve had fun and games!!

We have just returned from a week in the jungle in Northern Bolivia (Rurrenabaque). We spent 3 days in the Pampas, lowlands plains which last year got totally flooded, and is now waist high in water) and then 2 days in the Selva (tropical jungle with lots of insects and very hot!!).

Instead of describing everything we did, we are going to let our photos do the talking!

From here we have now slightly changed our plans, as we have found out that Manu Chau is doing a tour of South America right now, and is playing in Cochabamba (a city towards the south of Bolivia) tomorrow night! So we are on the bus down there tonight, and hoping to get tickets tomorrow!!

Lots of love to you all, sorry to hear its been rubbish weather in England (sorry, its been gorgeous here!!! Hehehe!!).

Rich and Zoe

xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Our transport in the PampasOur transport in the Pampas
Our transport in the Pampas

After a 3 hour jeep ride on the bumpiest roads ever,with an American lad going on about "getting into the rhythm of the jungle", this was our transport for the next 3 days. I (Rich)think I've got piles as they werent that comfy!
Yellow MonkeysYellow Monkeys
Yellow Monkeys

In the trees in the Pampas live lots of different types of monkey. These ones were the smallest, but very friendly!!
Cappuchino MonkeysCappuchino Monkeys
Cappuchino Monkeys

These were much bigger monkeys, and when they came along, all the yellow monkeys scarpered!! These monkeys live in sets of 4, 3 women and 1 male! Our guide Luis loved feeding them as they went wild for a bit of banana! He was a bit wild too though!
Sunset BarSunset Bar
Sunset Bar

Even in the middle of the Pampas you can get a cold beer! We love this country!
Our resident AlligatorOur resident Alligator
Our resident Alligator

This is our new mate Frederico, who lived beside our lodge. He likes sunbathing in the day, trying to top up his tan. Think he must have been a scouser in a previous life hehe!!!
Wading through the PampasWading through the Pampas
Wading through the Pampas

We spent one morning wading through the water hunting Anacondas (we didn´t want to ask why!!). At times the water was over waist high, but it didn´t matter to Zoe, as about 10 minutes after this picture she slipped over and was swimming in the water! Oops!
Chilling with an AnacondaChilling with an Anaconda
Chilling with an Anaconda

The wading was worth it! We found an anaconda, ad all got to hold it! It was looking at Rich a bit funny though, hence why he is staring at it in the photo! He thought it might pounce any minute!
SunsetSunset
Sunset

The reflection on the water was absolutely breathtaking
View from our lodgeView from our lodge
View from our lodge

A year ago this was all land...they played football here! There was so much rain though last year that the whole place flooded and is now totally submerged!
Swimming with dolphinsSwimming with dolphins
Swimming with dolphins

Pink dolphins live in the waters in the Pampas. When we were swimming they came up and bashed your feet and flicked water in your face with their fins! Luckily for us there were no alligators in this part of the river!
Our new travel buddiesOur new travel buddies
Our new travel buddies

Spiderman and Yoda loved the Pampas. Yoda specially liked hanging out with the gators! (we bought these finger puppets in Cusco....thanks Den for getting Spiderman!!!)
Desperate times call for desperate measures!Desperate times call for desperate measures!
Desperate times call for desperate measures!

The mosquitos here were lethal....they got us through our clothes! Zoe had had enough by the last night so wrapped herself up in the mosquito net! Sums up the whole week really as the mossies followed us round!
Piranha fishingPiranha fishing
Piranha fishing

On our last day we went piranha fishing. Ironically enough, the only one of us who caught anything was Zoe! And she calls herself a veggie!!!
Journey into the SelvaJourney into the Selva
Journey into the Selva

We took a boat for 4 hours north of Rurrenbaque to get to the real heart of the Jungle. It was like something out of a James Bond movie!
In the depths of the jungleIn the depths of the jungle
In the depths of the jungle

We spent 2 days in the jungle, most of which was trekking through the deep selva. Saw loads of insects, including a baby tarantula and loads of huge grasshoppers.
A treeA tree
A tree

Our guide explained to us how a lot of the plants in the jungle are either medicial or toxic. He used one plant to help Zoes mossie bites! He also used the vines from this tree to make a trendy vine water bottle carrier!
Butterfly!Butterfly!
Butterfly!

There were loads of butterflies in the jungle, and they were all so beautiful! This one thought Zoe´s hat was a flower and kept landing on it!
Juan CarlosJuan Carlos
Juan Carlos

Our guide Juan Carlos told us about how the Indigenous people live in the jungle. There are jaguars and pumas in the jungle, so to protect themselves they sleep in amongst the massive roots of some of the trees!
Amazing plantsAmazing plants
Amazing plants

There were so many beautiful flowers. Unfortunately our photos don´t really do them justice, but this one is pretty good!
Crossing the river!Crossing the river!
Crossing the river!

To get across the river we had to balance on huge trees that had fallen! Juan Carlos held Zoe´s hand but Rich declined the offer!
Bugs galore!Bugs galore!
Bugs galore!

One of the amazing insects we saw!
Camouflage!Camouflage!
Camouflage!

After lots of trekking we finally heard some animals. Juan Carlos tracked down some jungle boars (there was over 1000!). They could see our white clothes however so we had to blend in with our surroundings! We were lucky to see them though as it is hard to track the animals in the jungle without them hearing you!
Journey back to La PazJourney back to La Paz
Journey back to La Paz

After 5 days in the jungle we headed back to the city. The journey there however was quite interesting as we went through 3 Narcotics Squad checkpoints. They were very friendly (!) took a real liking to Rich frisking him(VERY thoroughly, if you know what we mean!!) and searching his mouth and shoes! He obviously looks a bit dodgy! It must be the sidies!


14th March 2006

ooh officer
hello soldier, i say! rather lovely down your way eh
14th March 2006

HAPPY TUESDAY!
Excellent Blog and super photos - Indiana Jones eat your heart out! Busy sorting out my income tax before heading to UK with Dad on Thurs 16th 'til April 11th. Crane did not work out well for me - but this has enabled me to go with Dad. So good of you to keep us in touch! Big Hugs XX
14th March 2006

fantastic pictures
Well you 2 are having a brill time the pictures are fantastic thanks for sharing them I love sunset pictures wish I was there to see them!! Look forward to next journal PS Zoe you just looked so attractive wrapped up how could Rich not resist you looking like that! ha ha Luv Joyce xxxxx
15th March 2006

WOW
Your photos are amazing! I hate mosquitos too! When are you coming to OZ? It looks like you are having so much fun over there!! We weill need house sitters in June/ July!..while we see your Mum in Hastings etc! love Libby
15th March 2006

Monkeys
Hi guys, think you should tell starbucks about the cappuchino monkeys. They could add it to their ever growing menu! Missing you both loads, love Cec x x x
16th March 2006

You guys ROCK!
I love that you guys took the time to spend with each other the present of nature! These pitures are absolutly amazing! Its so inspiring! It's amazing! I can't even express! How beautiful! You are very adventurous to hold a green bug and mpost importantly aligators! What a trip! WiCkEd!
28th March 2006

Fantastic!
Hiya Babe and Blokey!! I'm so pleased you're both having such an experience, and i'm still well jealous :-) I love the hat Zo! Could you bring me back a baby monkey please, i think i prefer them to the male of our species - Hee Hee!! Have decided to stay in Canterbury after my course, so here's to an adventurous future all round!! Keep sending the photos, it's great to keep in touch and see what you've been up to :-) Thinking of you both X lots of love Clare X X X X
31st March 2006

Hey the pictures look amazing zoe i must say i like your pants and rich you do blend in behind the plants missing you and love you lots laura x x x

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb