In The Jungle!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Beni Department » Rurrenabaque
January 26th 2008
Published: January 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

HomeHomeHome

Our little house in the jungle (with no mod cons like electricity or hot water!)
We were met at Rurrenabaque airport by Wilman. He’s a guide with the San Miguel del Bala jungle lodge and an integral part of their community of some 250 people. It was great to arrive to find someone holding a card with your name on it. It makes you feel kind of special!!

A couple of hours later we were on a motorised canoe weaving between the logs and fallen branches flowing on the River Beni. The water level was quite high so going upstream was slow going, and it was surprisingly rough in places. 45 minutes later we arrived in darkness at the jungle lodge which was to be our home for the next week.

The idea was to do some volunteer work. In all of my correspondence with the lodge I thought we had set ourselves up to teach English to the guides as it is now the quiet season for tourism. It didn’t quite work out that way as with no tourists, the guides sought work elsewhere. Thanks for telling us! We did some corrections of their English information boards, made some wind chimes out of bamboo canes and took some photos for them. In the end it resulted in a cheap stay in a jungle lodge for a few days. We didn’t quite last a week for a variety of reasons, the lack of wok being the main one.

The lodge was fine. Our cabin was great with very effective insect screens instead of windows and fine mosquito nets above our beds. Unfortunately with no tourists staying at the lodge it meant there was no electricity! So, cold showers in the dark it was!! We soon got used to torchlight and the water temperature was refreshing after getting very hot and sticky from walking outside.

Our meals were all taken with Wilman and his family. We had a 15 minute trek on a jungle path to get to his house. Getting back to our cabin after dinner meant a night hike every night. Except for getting lost on our first solo journey back (!) it was easy going with one steep climb and no pumas stalking us at all!! Wilman’s family were lovely. Gary, the eldest boy at 13, was a typical moody teenager which surprised us. For some reason we thought that trait was a very “developed world” thing. Still, he warmed
Rio BeniRio BeniRio Beni

This was the view from just outside our cabin
to us and tried to practice his English a couple of times. Nidelli (or was it Nigella?) is 8 and destined to follow her mother as a domestic goddess. Next came Johan, 6, and he was great. He talked to us from the start and has no fear of anything. Finally there was Brenda, 2, who was curious about us but very timid. At times the children would simply sit and stare at us which was a bit odd, but I guess we must seem a bit odd to them!

Life in the jungle isn’t easy. It’s certainly dirty and the heat and humidity soon sap any energy you have. We found ourselves resting in hammocks and deckchairs a lot. We did do one really good walk though. Wilman had drawn us a map of sorts and we didn’t get lost, although we weren’t on the trail we thought we were on! We tried to walk the route with medicinal plants along it, but after a few hundred metres the flooded path was impassable. We tried to walk out to a nearby canyon but found ourselves instead on the path which demonstrates various animal traps. It was about 2km
The dreaded stairsThe dreaded stairsThe dreaded stairs

It was a hot and humid climb up these stairs every day! It took a good 10 minutes, longer if we had much to carry.
each way on steep tracks but well marked. The only major obstacle was an enormous spider’s web with a giant arachnid in the middle. Using a stick Russ carefully destroyed part of the web to allow us to proceed!

We did enjoy our stay, it’s just that it didn’t quite work out as we had hoped. So we left after 5 days. Our return to Rurrenabaque was on a banana boat. Russ had to sit on top of a pile of green bananas as there was only really seating for Trish. It made for an interesting journey.

Back in Rurrenabaque our worst nightmare came true. Days of heavy prolonged rain meant that no flights could come or go from the tiny airport. After 5 nights in town (we planned to stay 2) we are really praying that the runway dries out this afternoon and we can leave!

Did we? You’ll find out in the next blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Palm LeavesPalm Leaves
Palm Leaves

These are used to make the roofs of houses in the community. You separate the brance into two pieces along its length, dry in the sun for a few days, and make your roof. it should last 5 years.
Motorised CanoeMotorised Canoe
Motorised Canoe

The main form of transport on the river system.
Dirty Brown FrogDirty Brown Frog
Dirty Brown Frog

Its camouflage nearly hid it amongst the leaves.
Casa GrandeCasa Grande
Casa Grande

Inside this round thatched cabin are hammocks and deckchairs (called perezosas or sloths in Spanish!). We spent rather a lot of time relaxing in there.
White flowersWhite flowers
White flowers

They only open up when the sun comes out. We didn´t see them often!!
Making WindchimesMaking Windchimes
Making Windchimes

Trish excelled with the saw but Russ was better with the drill.
Our handywork!Our handywork!
Our handywork!

A bamboo windchime proudly on display!
CatterpillarsCatterpillars
Catterpillars

A huge slimy slithering mass of them!
Our Wonderful ChefOur Wonderful Chef
Our Wonderful Chef

She produced wonders in her small kitchen on a wood burning stove.
Fresh LeavesFresh Leaves
Fresh Leaves

Just emerging.
SpidersSpiders
Spiders

Lots of tiny spiders. This was more like a nest than a web!
Medicinal PlantMedicinal Plant
Medicinal Plant

Ok, here´s what I got from the book. The Ji tree has many uses, one of which is penis enlargement! Cut off a section of the branch to the desired length, use as a sheath, then chop the branch up. It goes on to say that prolonged contact between the sap and the flesh will cause an intense burning sensation!
ArachnaphobiaArachnaphobia
Arachnaphobia

It was huge, and horrible, and in our way!
The Banana BoatThe Banana Boat
The Banana Boat

Yes, we did come in on the banana boat, and great fun it was too!


26th January 2008

No hot water or electricity in the jungle. That makes me extremely envious. I can't quite explain it, but this Chicagoan is envious. really wish I was there with you. REALLY
29th January 2008

Hi, this is very interesteing, as I am planning to volunteer in San Miguel del Bala for a month (mid-march to mid-april). Is there anything you recommend I bring? or just any advice in general for my stay there (hopefully i'll have more to do!).
20th February 2008

Quite an adventure...
Sounds like quite a trip you had there, though I don't like the look of that spider! I hope we can make our way out here in a few months time.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb