Monkey Madness


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Beni Department » Rurrenabaque
November 10th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So got to the airport no probs and then boarded our tiny tiny plane. Two people per isle, had to bend double to walk on. Flight was really fun, amazing view going over the Andes, so close to the snow capped mountains, was actually a little scary. Landing was really fun/concerning, weaving through the air down onto a dirt/grass runway.

Was feeling pretty sick by the time we´d landed (mainly due to yesterday) and was sooo hot and sticky, even before they opened the door of the plane! Airport left a little to be desired, just a house, was really cool.

Rurrenabaque is really cool, good ol´ jungle town. The center is a little touristy but nothing compared to Cuzco. Booked a tour to the Pampas straight away for the next day.

Up at 7am, got on a bus and met the other 5 people. An hour in, the bus careered of the road, not as dramatic as it sounds, as the wheel had come of the axel, so it was just steering in what ever direction if felt like. They tied it back on (?!) and then we were off again. Then the same tyre burst! Not
Plane time!Plane time!Plane time!

Carrie and Kailey on the way to the small plane!
going very well, mainly due to the 'road' condition, so bumpy and so muddy. Loads of stones that ever now and again sounded like they were going to come through the floor of the bus.

Anyway got there in one piece and boared the boat, had seats and everything, not quite like the last jungle adventure! Saw so many animals, hundreds of alligators, birds, capybarra, monkey´s and pink river dolphins!

Next day went to find some anaconda´s in the swamp. We were provided with wellies, but it was raining and the swamp was pretty deep in parts. After trying to avoid getting water over the top of the wellies, gave in and just marched through not careing about the smelly, stagnent water any more. Got so dirty and there were no signs of anyanaconda´s anywhere. Must admit, was quite glad after the size of the last one in Peru.

Eventually found a small one so we all had a look. As some of the girls had disappeared back to the boat and another two were ill at the camp, the guide decided we should take the anaconda back to the camp and release it back later. So with the anaconda in a bag under my coat, walked back through the swamp, quite concerned it would get out and bite me ( was in a mac, not really a suitable bag!)

Then spent an hour with it sitting on my knee on the boat, and it kept moving around. Counting down the minutes to camp! All went smoothly though and then we released it.

Did a spot of pirana fishing later and ate them for dinner. Then went to find some alligators, see pic.

As it had been raining most of the time in the pampas the flights back to La Paz had been delayed so we decided to have a day off and then go on a Jungle tour for another three days.

Onto another boat in the other direction to the jungle, was soooo hot and humid! Arrived and then had to carry the stuff through a number of rivers to get to camp, pretty funny!

Did lots of jungle trekking and saw wild pigs, tarantula´s, lots of munkeys, frogs, too many insects and hundreds of biting ants. Went on a night walk but unfortunatley didn´t see anything at all, apart
View from the planeView from the planeView from the plane

So close to the peaks!
from a few moths that seemed to like sucking the sweat off my face!

Made some rings from baby coconuts and got educated in the world of jungle medicine, was a really fun tour.

Back in Rurrenabaque on Friday and then took a flight back to La Paz on saturday morning. Departed the company of Carrie and Kailey (was quite sad) and got a bus over night to sucre. Lovely town but am probably heading off again tonight so that I can spend some time in Argentina! Only a month left on South America, how time flies.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

RurrenabaqueRurrenabaque
Rurrenabaque

Typical street with the jungle hills in the background
AlligatorAlligator
Alligator

Sooo many alligators
Monkey businessMonkey business
Monkey business

George and a fellow primate
Relaxing..Relaxing..
Relaxing..

Beer, hammock, jungle...mmmm! (Minus the damn mosquito´s)
AnacodaAnacoda
Anacoda

Finally back at the camp
Termite eatingTermite eating
Termite eating

Actually quite tasty, minty/chilli/bitter!
Me and BramMe and Bram
Me and Bram

Hiding behind a tree root wall
TarantulaTarantula
Tarantula

Stick a stick in it's hole and it comes out biting it!
The TribeThe Tribe
The Tribe

After having fun with natural plant paints


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb