Amazon Day 2 + 3


Advertisement
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning for our breakfast call in the mosi net with eaten legs even though i used the net they gave us and my own net as a blanket. We were going snake hunting today so i went searching for some wellies as the boots they gave us were about 10 sizes to small. Eventualy squeezed into the set the owner had to root out(eddy!!).

When we left camp it was raining heavy so werent expecting to see much. However we soon spotted kingfishers,eagles and falcons. We then saw a golden eagle which was absolutely massive and spectactular looking. it flew off before i had time to get it on camera. On the way to hunt some snakes we stopped at a lodge were 2 aligators hang around to feed. Our guide Luis was feeding them and i got a cool video. We got real close to them and i got to grab the tail of one that was running away. Then one of the gators started coming towards us fast so we had to get out of the way. It wasnt that bad though as river aligators arent nearly as agressive as there salt water buddies.

We pulled the boat into the jungle and began our snake hunt. We all had to split up and head separate ways to find the snakes. It seemed a little dangerous to me but what the hell. I had a feeling though our guide suspected we wouldnt find much anyway. After a few mins graham spotted a snake that quickly snook off into the water. We didnt see anything else but as we were leaving the jungle a guy from our group spotted a little snake in the reeds. It didnt look much but by the way our guides looked they were taking it very serious. so it must be poisionous. It was a baby rattlesnake. We found out that baby rattle snakes are at there most venomous when they are young cos they never replenish there venom. So older snakes may have none left. Luis showed us its teeth and i wouldnt like to get bitten they were huge. We also found a aligator skull in the jungle and i got a tooth off of it so i was happy. Al later eddied it and dropped his in the water.

On the way back from the jungle we stopped to see red monkeys, spider monkey and howling monkeys. The howling monkey makes this huge noise that can be heard for 100´s of metres and must have been used in dozens of horror films. It was then back to the lodge for lunch and a nap in the hammock. Got up after a few hours and went out back with the lads to do some piranha fishing. It was really hard to get the technique right for the fishing and they savage the meat off the hook in a few seconds. We also found out that everytime we were swimming in the last 3 days it was with piranha´s all the time. Luckily for us they only eat dead flesh!!!The only success was jon catching a huge turtle which we nearly killed(were butchering the jungle!!), graham caught one tiny piranha one by ripping the hook through the piranha´s body(so that doesnt count) but our guide Luis caught about 10. We had them for dinner that night and they were actually lovely and tasty. That night it was same old, got pissed and fell to bed.......

Up early on day 3 and we went down the river, swam with the dophins again and then vistied the monkeys one last time and then back to the jeeps for the journey home. Because of the rain it took 5 hours in the 4x4 and by the time we were home we were fecked.

The flights for the next few days from rurrenbaque to la paz were cancelled due to the rain so unfortunately for us we had to stay in the 40 degree heat and get drunk. Its a hard life. Back in La Paz now waitign for the final stretch of the holiday in South America.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb