Cataratas del Iguazu


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
November 10th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Iguazu FallsIguazu FallsIguazu Falls

As most of the waterfalls are on the southern, Argentine side of the river, the views from the Brazilian side (like this one) are more panoramic.
Geo: -25.6856, -54.4435

TAM Airlines A320 to the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls, landing at midday on Monday. Our appetite was whetted by distant glimpses of the river and waterfalls from the plane, along with large swathes of virgin jungle. Carlos, our talkative and informative guide picked up our tickets and we rode in on the park bus to the point where we walked the last kilometre to the Brazilian falls.

Geologists say the falls started 150+ million years ago at the confluence of the Iguazu and Parana Rivers. Erosion has moved the falls 23km up the Iguazu River and there are now around 275 waterfalls in a 2.3km length of the river. The Iguazu River is the boundary between Brazil and Argentina, and Paraguay lies on the other (western) side of the Parana River - a "triple frontier". Most of the waterfalls are on the Argentine side of the Iguazu.

After spending a few afternoon hours on the Brazilian side, we crossed a bridge over the Iguazu River into Argentina and checked in to the hotel for our two-night stay.

Changed guides on Tuesday and Marcello walked us over kilometres of steel boardwalks and lookouts on the southern side of the Iguazu. We
Devil's Throat (obscured)Devil's Throat (obscured)Devil's Throat (obscured)

The largest falls, 1.1km long and 80m high. There are five dams upstream of the falls that regulate the water flow. Last July was the biggest flood in memory (!) and the flow was twenty times the "normal" 2,000 cubic metres per second.
opted for the "Nautical Adventure" - a 6km guided drive though the jungle in open top trucks, followed by a 20min boat ride to the bottom of the Devil's Throat and the Mbigua Falls. We were well wet by the spray and then a couple of waves broached the boat to ensure we were all drenched!

Around 4:30pm we had a brief but violent thunderstorm with hail that was entertaining to watch from our waterfall-view hotel room. We saw a flock of Toucans with their huge, brightly coloured beaks; a pretty Jay hoping to be fed; hundreds of Swifts that roost behind the waterfalls and spend most of their lives on the wing; a Capuchin monkey (a la "Pirates of the Caribbean"😉 and many more Quatis. Both sides of the Iguazu have been national parks since the 1930s.

The food prices and service at the Sheraton Hotel are terrible so we chose to do a dinner and show back on the Brazilian side of the Iguazu (with abbreviated immigration processes).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

QuatisQuatis
Quatis

Quatis are plentiful in the park and are quite unafraid of humans, especially when seeking food. Like raccoons, they can be a pest and may bite if disturbed.
Argentine walkwayArgentine walkway
Argentine walkway

There are just so many waterfalls in the 2.3km zone. Any one of them would be remarkable in Australia (or elsewhere) and here they are just one after the other. The falls are very deserving of a travel "bucket list".
Ready for a showerReady for a shower
Ready for a shower

The boat ride was entertaining and provided another great view of the river and waterfalls. We booked on-site and the US$50 pp cost was considerably less than quoted by our travel agents.
All cooled downAll cooled down
All cooled down

A thrilling ride that was well worthwhile! We were hot after a lot of walking in the tropical and humid heat and the drenching was welcome. Thoughtfully the ride company provided green rubber bags to keep our gear dry, and told us when to put away our non-waterproof cameras.
Rafain Churrascaria ShowRafain Churrascaria Show
Rafain Churrascaria Show

We were late getting to the venue because of delays from a terrible traffic accident during the hailstorm. The show was fun and lively with a good variety of acts, quickly one after another. We went with a nice Sth Aussie couple we had met during the day.


10th November 2015

Iguassu falls. Double wow! No, triple wow! The falls are now on my "bucket list"! Look forward to reading your experiences in the region. Meanwhile, in Philly, it is cool and rainy!
11th November 2015

Incredible sight!
11th November 2015

Spectacular! You two are looking good as well.
11th November 2015

You May have trouble bringing that memento thro' customs
12th November 2015

You both look to be enjoying the trip. Great scenery as well.
12th November 2015

Someone might get arrested!
12th November 2015

That is the biggest smile I have seen on you for a long time.
15th November 2015

Some blokes just go that extra yard to leave a good impression with the locals...
17th November 2015

Wot an amazing sight! Could stay and admire the vista for an hour Im sure. Health and Safety would have a field day, easy to suicide over those rails, unless it looks less preventative than it is.
17th November 2015

Magnificent shot of the scenery and you both too!
17th November 2015

As they say AWESOME
17th November 2015

Good to see, would have been disappointed if such a happy snap were not taken. Your turn next Robbie-dob!

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb