A day at sea


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 24th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -54.79, -68.31

No stops today, however 6am we were up on the main deck as we'd reached the southern tip of Chile, Cape Horn. The sea is renowned for being choppy as it's where the Pacific meets the Atlantic - the last cruise had to miss it out as it was too treacherous. Again, we had it lucky! It was windy but the sea was calm. I always thought Cape Horn was attached to the mainland but no, it's an island! The captain did a complete circuit of Cape Horn, including taking us as close as possible to it's lighthouse and the Cape Horn monument (in the shape of an albatross) The lighthouse doesn't need manning, but Chile have a naval officer living there to maintain it's importance strategically. Photos taken, breakfast beckoned. I went to a life enhancement talk about maintaining good health through diet and exercise - it was very good, incentivising even, until the fitness guy mentioned a detox course (which I could sign up for if I wanted!) Meantime, Tim did another stint at the gym and we met in the Persian Garden to sit on the hot stone seats. By this time the wind had whipped up to 60mph and the sea was decidedly rough (mum, you wouldn't have liked it!) The swimming pool water was splashing over the sides, the loungers had been tethered and a couple of doors to some decks closed. The indoor hydrotherapy pool was Ok to use so we had a jacuzzi and read our books (I think lots of people may have retired to their rooms feeling queasy) I finished 'Elizabeth is Missing'. To Tim's disgust we had lunch in the health bar, so he rebelled by getting us a few cookies from the ice cream stand! We had a lazy afternoon watching TV (I knitted) and we went to dinner early. The wind and waves were relentless and walking to the dining room in a straight line was challenging. I felt a bit lightheaded at one point due to the rolling boat but managed to eat four courses (mind over matter!) We gave the theatre a miss as being enclosed didn't appeal plus we were tired due to the early morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.463s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb