I see dead people


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
October 15th 2011
Published: October 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - Saturday 15th October 2011
Woke up to the sounds of a Saxophone playing at 7.00am, unfortunately not very well and then the screams of the locals to shut up. The thought of waking up in Buenos Aires to the sound of a saxophone waffling out from a nearby apartment Just sounds so bohemian, but the truth is, when it isn’t played well you just want to hunt him down and kill him. We hopped up and are now in full swing had breakfast and then asked the reception about tours to the La Boca area. They said there was already a couple booked into see a football match if we were interested; it is a little on the expensive side. What the hell it is La Bombonera Stadium the former club of Diego Maradona, we booked it for tomorrow.
We hit the streets and walked to the Cementerio De La Recoleta which was about a 90 minute walk through beautiful parks and ritzy neighbourhoods and a zoo. I saw some great shoes, but carrying high heel shoes in the backpack is not going to work (yes it is Shelley writing this section) my shoe fetish continues, the next visit to Buenos Aires I may have to buy some. It was a great walk due to the contrasting areas, just before the cemetery we visited a market and I brought a T-shirt – Yes I needed it.
The cemetery is full of over the top mausoleums surrounded by high-rise buildings with the most amazing statues, as seen in the attached pictures. It is beautiful, gaudy and voyeuristic , looking at the dead, although those who know me would know my love of the macabre.
It was the most amazing juxtaposition of grandeur and sombre (these are someone’s mothers and fathers), but they really overdid it. The grandeur of the tombs was however a photographers dream and had us wishing we could be here at dawn or dusk.
We saw Eva Peron’s family mausoleum, where she is buried, which is to the side and understated compared to the others. It is interesting how she is revered for representing the poor, elderly and women’s rights in Argentina, yet with military restricted opposition parties and free speech. She died at 33 years old so young but such a driving force in Argentina.
We walked back through the streets of Buenos Aires to our hotel for a quick freshen up, then back out again. The next stop was the Palermo Viejo Markets which were disappointing, but maybe because we were not buying. Stopped for a quick bite at Sugar before heading back to the hotel and a bit of recovery time.
---To all our vegetarian friends please do not read any further—
For dinner we opted to eat at a more traditional Argentinian restaurant, which basically consists of large slabs of meat and it was sensational; a bit sparse on the green stuff but no complaints from Scott.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb