Wednesday 25 May 2011


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
May 25th 2011
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the unexpected surprises today was the patriotic display in the Plaza de Mayo. Flag waving adults, face painted children, vendors bearing trays of sweet almonds or poles of candyfloss wands were out in force to celebrate the nation´s independence from the Spanish in 1810. The backdrop to the Plaza is the Casa Rosada, scene of rallying presidential speeches over recent eventful decades. The sound system we´d heard in test mode yesterday, was playing its part today as handmikes were passed around the cheerful singing crowd.

We´d whizzed back to the Plaza from a long walk across to Palermo Viejo, where we´d had a beer and salad in a pavement cafe overlooking a tree filled square. Shades of New York, SoHo sprang to mind. Palermo is a network of individual cobbled streets, home to the trendy and affluent. Quirky and relaxed. A great spot.

And this evening we are definitely in tourist mode, taking in a tango show over supper. Yesterday evening´s supper at La Brigada in San Telmo was a lovely experience. Fantastic Merlot and predictably delicious beef.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb