The Road to Santa Maria Beats us all


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
March 16th 2011
Published: March 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Finally the road from Andalgala to Santa Maria has beaten Rosco's Rocky Road Adventurers.

We left Andalgala, heading up to Minas Capallitas at 3100m up above the clouds.
The road going up was under repair from the recent rains, so it was in good condition, but we could see the damage that had been caused.

Once we reached the Hotel and had some coffee, we put on our hard hats and headed for the mine.
It was a long steady climb up to the shaft opening, but with many stops to catch our breath, and admire the view and the wild herbs and flowers along the way.
We passed an ancient cemetery and old mining camp ruins along the way. On reaching the mine itself, we were led into the darkness, only lighting our way with the small headlamps that were supplied, we ventured quite far in and the temperature dropped accordingly.
We were able to see the vein of the rear Rodocrosita, and when it is cut out of the vein, cut and polished, it becomes known as the 'Rosa del Inca'

On our return from the mine, at around 3.30pm, I was informed that our truck could not pass along our intended route to Santa Maria, only the motos I was told, could pass, as the rains and volume of water in the past week had made the road impassable for vehicles.
This now became a major problem, as the truck would have to back track down the mountain to Andalgala, then back to Belen and up Ruta 40 to Santa Maria, about a 300km back track.
The decision was made that the motos would go through and Bill and I would go back the long way.
At 4.00 pm we said farewell to motos and headed back down the mountain.

The rest of the group continued on the original route towards Santa Maria, but were finding the conditions extremely challenging and the further they went the worse it got.
They eventually got to impassable deep washouts and by now it was 5.30 pm, and a decision was made to turn back, as otherwise they would be caught out in darkness and not knowing weather they could get out as they could not continue.
Robin's BMW 800 GS, was starting to develop a slipping clutch, so Diane went with Alan as they all retraced the
JanJanJan

She went for a run to the top of the hill behind her, while the others had lunch!
road back over the mountain.
At the top of the mountain, String got a puncture, but team Baz was soon on the case and they were all back on the road as darkness was descending on the weary group, Robin's clutch became non exsistant.

It was now dark and Paul finished up towing Robin for 14 kms, back to Andalgala. At this time, Bill and I were at the YPF (gas station) grabbing gas and a coffee, when I got a text from Paul, informing me of their predicament.

The decision was made that they all sleep in Andalgala and Bill and I will stay in Belen and we would all meet up in Belen the next day. Bugger, what a day that turned out to be.
By the time Bill and I ate it was after mid night before we got to bed in our Hotel.

The next morning I was woken by a text at 7.30am, that Paul and Robin are leaving, as they had somehow got some clutch back on the BMW, the others left soon after 8.00am
By 10.00 am we were all together again, facing about a 500 km ride to Salta.
The Road to AndalgalaThe Road to AndalgalaThe Road to Andalgala

New construction

We all arrived in Salta between 7.00 and 7.45 in drizzily rain and darkness, all tired, but happy to be here.

Tomorrow we head to San Antonio de Los Cobres at 4000m, then onto San Pedro de Atacama.
So until the next update.....
un abrazo,
Rosco



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Robin and Diane Robin and Diane
Robin and Diane

Sneaking in the washing
Some Dealing going on?Some Dealing going on?
Some Dealing going on?

Paul, Diane and Wim
El GroupoEl Groupo
El Groupo

Out side Andalgala
Still Deep and RoughStill Deep and Rough
Still Deep and Rough

Remember this in 2008 Tom?
Robin and DianeRobin and Diane
Robin and Diane

Off to work we go.....


17th March 2011

Awesome photos
Awesome photos Dad....love the "up the mountain we go" but best you stay away from the edge there eh?! Glad your camera is performing for you ;) keep em coming! xxxxxx C
17th March 2011

The road from Andagala
If I remember correctly, that mountain roade from Andagala to Santa Maria was a great ride for Mike and I in 2008, and included us clearing rocks from the road for the truck en route. A pity you all could not enjoy it at it's finest. I believe that is where Alex came to grief also... Sting - you are there to fix the punctures not get them!
17th March 2011

Tell Bill, I'm sure he made the right decision by being in the truck. The roads must have been awful, but the scenery was beautiful. Dave Krummel.
17th March 2011

Wish you were here???
At least you never said "wish you were here"!!!!!!! Good luck everyone!
23rd March 2011
Robin and Diane

We see you
Good to see you are still doing some housework!
23rd March 2011
Some Dealing going on?

MMmm... Looks Dodgy....

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb