Recovering in El Calefate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
May 3rd 2004
Published: May 3rd 2004
Edit Blog Post

I'm staying in El Calafate at the moment, just lazing about and enjoying the nice weather. I'm staying in the best hostel I've stayed at so far. It's called America Del Sur, and it's run by a bunch of mid-20Yr old ex-pat Buenos Aires people who are so crazy and fun. And they're always chillin in the lounge with all the travellers with some sort of reggae music playing, and they've got under floor heating everywhere you go so the whole place has got just the best atmosphere.
   Today I went to the Perito Moreno Glacier which was absolutely amazing! it's massive! It's about 5km's wide, and all up about as big as the Buenos Aires city. It's creaking and groaning all the time cos it moves forward at about two meters a day, and at one point, right infront of us,  there was this huge explosion as a piece of Ice the size of 10 buses broke off the front of the glacier and smashed down into the lake. you could've surfed the waves it made! it was unreal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Football mad around here!!!Football mad around here!!!
Football mad around here!!!

El Calafate is quite far away from any big cities so this is the lengths they will go to to make sue that they can watch their favorite "futbol" team play each week. Doesn't really look right huh?


3rd September 2004

One of the Natural Wonders of the World
Watched a show on BBC prime last night, the Moreno Glacier was listed as one of the natural wonders of the world, along with Uluru, Bryce Canyon, Victoria Falls and the Alps. Looked fantastic on video with David Attenborough narrating - inspiring.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb