Jujuy- more beautiful desert and trekking with llamas


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are back in Salta, after spending 6 days in another beautiful part of this country, the province of Jujuy. We saw more wonderful scenery and had a great adventure; a hike with llamas! Here are the boys' voices:
Shakked: “After leaving Salta, we drove to a tiny village called Purmamarca. The main attraction was a mountain, a hundred meters away from the village. It was called the ‘Cerro de Siete Colores.’ Mountain of Seven Colors. As we drove up to it, we saw a strange blend of colors on its surface. There was brown, white, orange, red, green, blue, and purple. Yes, some of the rocks were blue, green or purple. Under the rays of the sun the colors seemed to glow. It was a strange and beautiful sight. The next day, we walked around the mountain to see the colors. The morning after, we drove to a larger village called Tilcara. There one of our highlights was trekking with llamas. They carried our backpacks, we held ropes attached to the llamas. Along with our guide, we set out. Aba had the fiercest llama - the leader. Once, she stopped in the middle of the road and refused to budge. Aba pulled and tugged, and coaxed. Nothing worked. Suddenly, as Aba pulled too hard, the llama blew a geyser of spit into his face. Finally, we moved on. Leaving the road, we climbed on narrow, rocky path, going up, up, up, until we were about two hundred meters off the ground. Cars were the size of toy automobiles, the trees mere twigs beneath us. We stopped for lunch and walked on, the freezing, howling wind biting at every inch of exposed flesh. We arrived at our destination. As Maytal was tired and screaming her head off, we took a taxi back to our hotel. The next day, we visited an ancient fort. Actually, it wasn’t a fort, having no walls or fortifications whatsoever. Be that as it may, it was very strategically positioned. The ‘fort’ was on a hill, which meant it was easily defendable. Also, it was at the meeting point of three valleys. One led to the fertile lands of Salta. Another, led to Bolivia. The third led to an enormous - meaning miles long - plateau covered with salt. So, the traders from the valleys all passed by the ‘fort.’ We saw some crumbling stone houses, pits for who-knows-what, and descended. Today, we return to Salta!”

Amit:
‘Seven beats eleven’
After two days at Salta, we went to Purmamarca. Purmamarca has this cerro in front of it. The cerro is special because it has seven colors. There are shades of blue, purple, red, white, and green. It is very beautiful and looks like a ship full of colors. It is round but beautiful. After two days at Purmamarca, we went to Tilcara. In Tilcara we went to this farm. There we packed up llamas and went for a hike with them. There were four llamas. We each took a llama. We went on this hill and climbed it, when we reached the top we kept walking. The setting was beautiful. With Cacti and plants and hills of color.
Two days after the llamas we went to ancient ruins. The ancient ruins were on a hill. On the top of the hill was a yramid. The pyramid had a beautiful sunset light on it. It looked beautiful with valleys streaked with red and orange. We saw a cute baby llama walking unsteadily to her loving father and mother. “



Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb