Iguazu!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 20th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Friends at the FallsFriends at the FallsFriends at the Falls

Karma, Martha, and Brian enjoying first Falls view...
I arrived in Iguazu on Monday, Feb 13, after a 24-hour bus ride from Salta! Met some funny Irish travelers- a couple and another guy, and had some decent movies on the bus so it wasn’t as bad as you might think. Plus the hostel was kick-ass! Don’t think hostel, think resort really. I mean it was no Ritz, but the building was nice, the room was a private triple (Martha and Mark were coming), with AC, TV, etc., they had wireless internet, and best of all-- a fantastic pool. Everyone spoke English and the place had a festive atmosphere. I lounged by the pool the first day, and figured out how were we were all getting our Brazil visas...hung with the Irish and 2 Australian girls that night, drinking way too much red wine.

Martha arrived late afternoon the next day and even though I had been by the pool for 2 hours watching for her, she snuck by me and was let in our room. Sadly, she locked herself in said room for 2 hours, and was finally released by people passing by in the hall- too funny. I gave her the low down on visa to do’s
Post Log Ride DrenchingPost Log Ride DrenchingPost Log Ride Drenching

Can't believe we were so into this deliberate dousing in the falls that we did it twice.
as we enjoyed our reunion, and we had a fab dinner in town that night.

Next morning Mark arrived as intended in spite of all travel troubles. Whooeee! I whisked them off to town to do the visa process, and we met another Bay Area guy (Brian) at Brazil consulate who then joined us for a day at the Falls. GREAT DAY! We loved the falls, we loved the company, and we were like children getting doused in the obligatory boat ride taking you so close to falls that drenched is an understatement. Talk about fun. 'Course it continued back at the hostel, and we joined the Irish contingent and Australian girls, and a charming Dutch girl who fancied Mark, by the pool (see pics).

Next day, we went back to the falls, and that night we cooked and partied. Someone got a hold of some Carnival (as in brazil carnival) fun spray and it got a little crazy while we played a spirited card game.

On our last day we just lounged pool-side… you would think the party was over- and it nearly was as the whole place had vacated (everyone went to Rio de Jainero to see the Stones prior to Carnival)- but we eecked out a bit more action. I don’t necessarily remember details leading up to… but the night ended with chicken fights in the pool (Martha and I combated).

We flew to BA next AM, hungover as heck, and as if it couldn’t get worse, our flight was delayed THREE hours. This is a constant theme in Arg. Oh well.

Martha: "I took my love and I took it down, climbed a mountain and I turned around. And I saw my reflection in a snow covered hill. Well the Landslide brought me down"


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Chillin- trying to give Mark the hintChillin- trying to give Mark the hint
Chillin- trying to give Mark the hint

Karma had every excuse for not playing us any songs on the hostel guitar.
Mark & Irish budsMark & Irish buds
Mark & Irish buds

Just wait, his hair gets even bigger later...
Good timesGood times
Good times

Going round the circle, now we have Brian, Dutch girl, and Martha
Good timesGood times
Good times

Continuing round... it's the Aussies and me.
More FallsMore Falls
More Falls

more...Spectacular Falls
Action shot!Action shot!
Action shot!

Karma's skills in the kitchen and Martha's skills with camera.
More actionMore action
More action

Carnival spray adds more fun to the festivities
And more...And more...
And more...

Carnival spray adds more fun to the festivities


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb