Crossing to the other side...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 31st 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The following day we had our easiest border crossing yet with a taxi taking us the 10 minutes to the border, getting out with our passports and clearing customs, etc for us and then jumping back in the taxi and driving 5 minutes to our Hostel on the Argentinian side in Iguazu.

We were nearly as impressed with the Hostel as the waterfalls themselves, we were paying 7 pounds each a night and arrived to what looked like a Holiday resort for Backpackers with a massive swimming pool and outdoor bar area and 24 hour bar.
We were soon splashing in the pool later and after an afternoon in the sun Cherie was worried about one of the boys in a group of Australian lads drinking around the pool, who Cherie thought was getting rather sunburnt and it was suggested Andy swim over to inform him. Andy politely suggested this was not the most sensible (or heterosexual) thing for an English bloke to do and so Cherie went over to give warning.
These guys were celebrating Australia Day (Australian time) and we were dragged into the party particularly when it was discovered they were all from "Regional Victoria" the same as Cherie.

The next day was Australia Day proper and so the party recommenced and it was discovered that none of the assembled Australians actually knew the significance of "Australia Day" but the drinking started early with lunchtime tequilas so it was obviously a day to celebrate.

We spent a couple more days socialising by the pool whilst we awaited our Canadian friend, Tyler, who was running late because he´d missed a bus or didn´t know the days of the week or something or other.
Upon his arrival we headed to the Iguazu Falls on the Argentinian side. This is more spectacular in that you spend more time in closer proximity to the water.
This was a full day event and with Cherie in charge of itinerary, map reading and generally bossing the 2 boys around we set off walking various paths which take you to the different sections of the waterfalls.
Cherie "Hawkeye" Wilson also spotted a toucan in the trees on one of our walks and we have a number of blurry pictures to add to our collection, alongside the numerous raccoon-type things we saw.

One of the routes you can follow takes you down to the water where you take a speed boat that drives into the waterfalls. You get a face full of water and completely drenched but in the heat of the day it was really refreshing and great fun.

One of the highlights was walking the top level tracks which take you directly over some of the main water falls and out to the Devil´s Throat and you can look down (if you can fight passed the other tourists and see through the spray!) to see the surging torrents of water.

This done we were ready to leave Iguazu. Perhaps just after one more beer...





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb