The Southernmost City in the World


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
December 20th 2008
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Ushuaia - the southernmost city in the World - after a 12 hour journey through the day (the night buses you can just sleep the whole way there!) after experiencing crossing from Argentina, into Chile and back into Argentina, torrential rain that obscured any view out of the window and a hungover backpacker sitting across the aisle from us vomiting into a plastic bag for half the journey. Our only highlight was watching the dolphins swim alongside our ferry on a short crossing we took.
Ushuaia itself is great and so was our Hostel, although we were in a rather smelly 6 bed dorm. The views from the top level of the Hostel made up for it with incredible views across the water. Made even more impressive at night because it never went totally dark and there was so much daylight. Although not always sunshine...
Some friends coming to meet us got delayed in arriving to Ushuaia so we found ourselves some new drinking buddies and after a few drinks improvised a "jam session" comprising a band with no musical talent but a lot of volume and a tone deaf singer.
This was only the start as we ventured out to one of the ever-present Irish pubs with 4 Irish lads and keen to impress her new friends Cherie decided it was time to show off her "worm" dance, which involves throwing herself to the ground and ...... However, Cherie´s impression normally goes no further than hitting the deck and this time it was her chin that hit first so giving her a rather attractive bruised chin.
The following day with slightly heavy heads and rather funny looking chins we visited the old prison - Ushuaia is another penal colony (so Cherie felt quite at home) and we were able to walk around the museum that was presented within the Prison cells.
That night our other friends arrived so we had to get our drinking shoes back on to welcome them to town and true to form we ended up back in the Irish bar.
The next day we went up to the mountains to see the glacier and to take on the canopy deathslide, where you are fastened onto a rope suspended between trees and fly across the trees. However, this was not the most extreme canopy place and was a rather sedate slide even for Andy with his love of heights. After this we took a ski lift half way up the mountain and started a walk towards the snow, battling against icy winds - all of us dressed for rather warmer weather. We made it up to the snow and found that rather than "glacier" this was more"snow" but we satisfied ourselves by sliding on our jackets down the snow slopes.
After an all you can eat dinner of all the meat you can imagine we had a quiet(ish) night in before our flight in the morning.
The runway is built out into the water and around the town it is mountainous so the the take off was very quick and then the plane banked up like a rocket in order to clear the mountains around us. Quite an experience as you can imagine.

In Calafate we had a rest day with Cherie coming down with a cold and so on our 3rd day we did the tour to see the massive Perito Moreno glacier. We did a mini trek onto the glacier complete with crampons to look at the different shapes and formations in the ice. The trek ending with a glass of whisky with ice from the glacier itself.
At the front the glacier stood 170m in height, around 80m being above the waterline and up to 700m at the back of the glacier. It moves up to 2m a day the glacier was pushed against a piece of land so it was quite a spectacle watching and hearing the ice crumbling and falling into the water with a sound that thundered around us.
That night we took a night bus that left at 3 am which began our 34 hour journey to Bariloche where we intended to spend Christmas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



19th January 2009

Shit shit and shit
not looked for a while but pleased all is well and you're having fun. Same old same old here, see title for thoughts.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb