Ushuaia, Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 12th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
When we left Montevideo, the land was flat with bluffs by the water. That was the Patagonia section. The terrain has changed as we have gone south. In the last two days, we have seen some spectacular scenery from the boat! We are currently at the tip of South America, and the Andes Mountains are beautiful with their snow caps. We had two days of very rough seas with high waves splashing against our window. Because of the weather, we were unable to stop in the Falkland Islands. Today, we are docked in Ushuaia, Argentina. This town reminds us of Alaska and Newfoundland. We have decided that we are not old enough to join the Cruisers Club. We are used to a lot more activity and hassles. We actually miss the hassles and interactions with the locals. This is a civilized small town with its economy based on fishing and tourism. Sea lions and penguins inhabit the beaches here. We haven´t seen any whales yet, but the seals stick their heads out of the water when you near the shore.
The island off the tip of South America is known as Tierra del Fuego, meaning land of fire. I have always wondered about that name. I use to teach sixth graders the history of S.A. It was named this because the explorers saw lots of fires as they rounded Cape Horn. The Natives wore few clothes and burned the fires to keep warm. The fires aren´t burning anymore.
Take care,
Everette


Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb