El Calafate - Puerto Madryn


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
October 17th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Perito Moreno GlacierPerito Moreno GlacierPerito Moreno Glacier

Thats a big block of ice!
There have been a few smart comments regarding my contribution to the blog over the past couple of weeks so I´ve sent Carol for a little walk and its time for me to start contributing so here it goes!

After our little stroll in Torres del Paine we decided to take it relatively easy in El Calafate. We went on a day tour to the Moreno glacier the day after ariving and I´ve gotta tell you that is one pretty large and pretty cool piece of ice (pardon the pun). One downside to the tour is that its pretty drawn out. Theres only so much looking at ice you can do and after 2/3 hours we would have been satisfied to head back to El Calafate. There are no half day tours available and the public buses don´t run that regularly so unless you rent a car you have to go with the Tour.

A few days later we met up with Brian a friend of mine from Galway who I hadn´t seen in over a year which was good. Had a few beers, and some great food and wine - thanks Brian!

The following evening we took a nice leisurely 24 hour bus journey to Puerto Madryn to do a PADI open water diving course. We finished it yesterday but if we had of known how cold the water would be we might have left it until OZ. At least now were ready for Irish waters!

We chose to do the course with Scuba Duba mainly because they offer 5 dives as opposed to the rest of the dive shops who just offered 4 for the same price. We´d highly recommend them and especially the instructor Javier who was very patient with us and was a real gentleman. The diving was great once we got used to the water. We saw loads of fish including huge Atlantic salmon. Our last dive was to a ship wreck which we really enjoyed.

We took Javier out for dinner last night and shared a traditional Argentinian ´parilla´which included intestines. kidney, sweetbreads and blood sausages. I think Carol is gonna turn vegetarian after the experience.

The third day of our course was postponed because of the wind so we decided to rent a car and head to Peninsula Valdes which is a wildlife reserve about 2 hours north.
Out and about in El CalafateOut and about in El CalafateOut and about in El Calafate

Brian - you´re not gettin your cap back - go away!
Saw loads of sea lions, elephant seals and some more penguins from a distance. We didn´t get to see any whales but we had already spotted a few while we were out diving which was really cool - the´re massive!

Before we left to head back I decided to go to the little boys room and apparently Carol saw an armadillo and a grey fox while I was gone - yeah right!

Anyway Carol´s after arrivin back now so I better publish this before she has a chance to change it.

Headin to Bariloche tonight, should be fun although I think its supposed to be a bit colder there.

Anyway until the next time I send Carol for a walk - Adios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Elephant Seals - Peninsula ValdesElephant Seals - Peninsula Valdes
Elephant Seals - Peninsula Valdes

Move you fat lazy animals!
ArmadilloArmadillo
Armadillo

Carol´s imaginary armadillo!
Grey FoxGrey Fox
Grey Fox

Carol´s imaginary fox!


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb