Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
October 6th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Football in BAFootball in BAFootball in BA

The River Plate fans in the 75,000 seater stadium at the start of their home game against Rosario
After a quick trip to the Brazilian side of the falls for a more panoramic view we got a very bumpy plane to Buenos Aires and spent a great week there seeing the sights and doing what Portenos (people from BA) do.

The city is divided into Barrios (neighbourhoods) so we looked at the govt. buildings in the centre, admired the brightly coloured wooden houses (but ignored the Maradona lookalike) in La Boca, checked out the street tango in San Telmo and visited Evita´s grave during a lightning storm in the spooky Recoleta cemetery.

But Buenos Aires is as much about being there as the sights so we whiled away the hours in coffee houses, enjoyed delicious steak and Malbec, caught a Tango show and went to see River Plate play Rosario - a senstional 3-3 draw with a River equaliser 11 minutes into injury time, this caused a near riot amongst the away players and fans with seats being ripped up and thrown onto the fortunately empty stand below. Even Clare enjoyed the football but will not be asking for a season ticket for a UK club when she gets home.

Sam and Wendy were also in
The Pink Palace, BAThe Pink Palace, BAThe Pink Palace, BA

where Evita used to address the crowds
BA and it was fantastic to see them again. We all went out to celebrate Andy´s birthday - it was a brilliant evening although after 3 months of early nights getting home at 6am meant very little was accomplished on the Tuesday.

From BA we have moved via Rosario (the birthplace of Che) onto Villa General Belgrano - a bizarrely German town in the mountains where they are having their very own Octoberfest - more on that next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Tango in BATango in BA
Tango in BA

an afternoon coffee in San Telmo was enlivened by the surprise appearance of a couple of Tango (ers?)
32 today32 today
32 today

Andy celebrates his birthday with Clare, Sam and Wendy
RosarioRosario
Rosario

we walked from the city (in the distance)


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb