Buenos Aires to Ushuaia and Fin del Mundo


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
December 4th 2015
Published: December 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The BIG Ride 2015


Tres Amigos Tres Amigos Tres Amigos

From Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Fin Del Mundo
Buenos Aires to Ushuaia and Fin del Mundo
We finally made it from the top to the bottom of the world
Leaving Buenos Aires we made our run south with some big riding days, as this was another holiday weekend many hotels were booked up and or wouldn't accept a one night booking so we had to change our direction a bit but not enough to go out of our way.
Our biggest day of our adventure was a 730km ride from Bahia Blanca to Trelew in Argentina, I was so thankful for my airest and sheepskin that day that's for sure.
Costs have gone up quite a lot here in Argentina since we were here last year with fuel getting close to NZ prices along with our food costs.
It was good to be back in Caleta Olivia for a night, where Gerardo went to get the stitches out of his hand as they had grown too far in for us to cut out. He got in a bit of trouble, as the cut had not mended very well due to pressure and movement while riding his bike,they re bandaged it ant told him to rest for a few days, yeah right!!
The following morning we were all set to go but Gerardo couldn't find his helmet anywhere???.
Finally he went back to the hospital and there was his helmet from last night.
The next couple of days were also big days,but we were grateful that we had beautiful clear skies and very little Patagonian wind, as Gerardo said, "it's just turbulence"!
We slept our last night in mainland Argentina in Rio Gallegos before our trouble free exit from Argentina and entry to Chile.
The ferry was waiting for us to cross the Magellan Straight to the island of Tierra del Fuego and our final destination Ushuaia and Fin del Mundo, back in Argentina. (I'm so over border crossings).
We slept one night in Povinir (Chile) and the next day rode to the King Penguin Colony so Owen could see real penguins, then another border crossing back into Argentina for our final section of our Big Ride from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska......
As we approached the end of Ruta 3, I had mixed emotions as we have been on the road, living out of a bag on my bike for over 4 months, we have visited 16 countries, waterfalls, lnca
Owen in Caleta Olivia Owen in Caleta Olivia Owen in Caleta Olivia

He could smell the penguin poo from here!!
and Mayan ruins along the way and met many helpful and interesting people and I'm so over speed bumps and border crossings.
Our adventure is not over yet, as we have to get back to Santiago and Vina del Mar to ship our bikes home,(well three of us) so until my next blog,keep the coffee warm. Cheers. Rosco




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cool photo from String on our ferry crossing. Cool photo from String on our ferry crossing.
Cool photo from String on our ferry crossing.

These Dolphins followed us all the way.
Rocky was happy to be here Rocky was happy to be here
Rocky was happy to be here

He is going on and on about how badly he needs a bath after what he's been through!!
Owen is beside himself-Real King penguins at last. Owen is beside himself-Real King penguins at last.
Owen is beside himself-Real King penguins at last.

It took him 40,000kms to get to see real penguins!
This is the only place to see King penguins down here. This is the only place to see King penguins down here.
This is the only place to see King penguins down here.

Unless you go to the South Georgia Islands. Why they chose this place, who knows??


4th December 2015

Well done
Epic ride
5th December 2015

Absolutely epic journey
Rosco - you have provided Dick, Cathy, Mitchell and I with many oooos and ahhhhs, scary moments, knowledge and awe. Thank you. You deserve a long, summertime rest back home. We were sorry to miss you recently - our journey from the bottom of NZ to the very top and back again seems so miniscule when compared with your epic journey. We all look forward to your next adventure - but we'll let you have a rest first! Cheers Su
5th December 2015
Cool photo from String on our ferry crossing.

Wow!
Amazing photo

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb