The end of the world - Del Fin del Mundo


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
March 31st 2005
Published: April 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

- Food: The king crab which is a speciality not so great but then we ate it in a cheap restaurant! Fish in general very delicious.

- Area: Non impressive town but nice outskirts. Beautiful National Park (Tierra del Fuego). The most southern inhabitated town in the world. Lots of wildlife (burping seals included).

- People: Very friendly and informative tour guide. Mad little old lady hotel owner.

- Weather: Freezing. Hat and glove weather for sure. Very windy as well.


Thur 31st: Glad I brought my hat and gloves - they´re needed.
The hotel was as old fashioned as the mad old lady running it. She seemed to think that by saying the same sentence over and over and slower each time, that we´d understand. Bless.

Ushuaia town isn´t very impressive at all with lots of tourist things but not in a particularly lovely setting. The king crab I had for dinner was not so special a speciality.

Fri 1st April: Breakfast was bad - fake OJ, the sweetest croissants, disgusting coffee. The end of the world isn´t that great.

However, after going to the Tierra del Fuego National Park with a very chatty tour guide and lovely tour group my mind changed. We went to the point of Del Fin del Mundo which wasn´t that amazing and incredibly windy but what was amazing was the fact that we were at the end of the world (or at least the most southern inhabited tip of it). Just 1,000 k from the Antartic.

Found Calafate berries and ate one which made my tongue very purple. Became very into wildlife and birds. Saw geese where the white headed female finds the food for the brown headed male. He´s incapable of finding his own food so if she dies, he dies from hunger! Whereas if he dies, she finds a younger, fitter model. Fantastic!

Rather than stay in the jeep with the tour, we spent all afternoon doing a coastal walk through woods and coast with the most beautiful views all the way along of the mountains. It was very peaceful as hardly anyone else passed us.

A friendly bus driver picked us up thank god as the 2 hour walk home was not looking inviting. Found out the Pope died so was expecting everything to be shut. Fortunately a lovely seafood restaurant was open and we ate delicious fish - made up for the poor king crab yesterday.

Sat 2nd: The morning was spent on the Beagle Channel on a catamaran tour. We saw lots of birds and ducks but the best bit was seeing a little island where stacks of seals live.
They seem to have a nice life lazing around in the sun burping and farting all day (that´s what it sounded like anyway).

The boat stopped at an island where I was shocked to find lots of rubbish - what´s wrong with people. There was free tea, coffee and biscuits on the boat and we got passports stamped with 'Del Fin del Mundo' (the little things please).

As we had all afternoon free before our flight, we found a lovely little cafe to sit and watch the world go by - sadly I didn´t leave room for a dulce de leche pancake.
We decided to go for a walk even though Ushuaia didn´t impress me and found a much nicer part with a nice green and a memorial for those killed in the Falkland war.
And then another tiny airport for the trip back to Buenos Aires.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb