Day 10 - Land of Fire (Tierra del Fuego National Park)


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another lie in until 8 and then off to the Tierra del Fuego National Park for a day of hiking. We were recommended the 8km walk, which it was suggested would take 3 hours. However with a group of 11 people, with 11 cameras and varying levels of fitness it took us closer to 4 or 5. The scenery was magical, the first 4km took us along the coast of the Beagle Channel, which looked like something out of a fairy tale - beautifully still water flanked by banks of green rock and therefore green sand and pebble beaches. The second 4km saw us split off into 3 groups of different paces, me and Taryn the middle group, trying to hold the other two relatively close together. By the end of the hike we were pretty bored of the forest we’d been trapped in for at least an hour and kept thinking we’d reached the end when we hadn’t. We concluded that the 8km measurement was as the crow flies, we must’ve walked further! Whilst it was not by any means a strenuous walk, we were grateful for a cafe at the end as we hadn’t eaten since 8:30 and it was now 3:30pm.

Back at the hostel/campsite very very early (4:30pm) we were sad to find that our truck was exactly where we left it, and that we would not be leaving the next morning as planned. Despite the bad news we had a great evening, fuelled by some beautiful homemade empanadas and a lot of red wine from the hostel bar. It was the first chance we´d all had to really socialise together for a full evening, as on previous nights we’d got to campsites late and rushed dinner in order to get out of the cold and into our tents. The luxury of having a hostel common room to hang out in was all the more appreciated now that we were stranded - it didn’t bear thinking about being stranded at a free camp at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with no food, no bar, no toilets, no showers, no beds, no warmth and nothing to do! With that in mind, everyone opted for beds instead of tents again as they were wet inside from an evening of rain.

Chris’s Corner

The National Park was a great opportunity for lots of awe inspiring photos of the changing scenery. It also inspired the boy inside me, finally giving me a chance to be a jungle commando, driven by the discovery of a conveniently gun shaped stick, stalking ducks and opening and eating fresh mussels from the shores, definite highlights despite Sophie’s disgust at the mussels. In the evening Lucia gave Carrie, Mahnee and me a lesson in traditional empanadas with the assistance of the campsite owner. Be expecting these at casa de Chris and Sophie on our return!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Tierra del Fuego National ParkTierra del Fuego National Park
Tierra del Fuego National Park

Starting from top left (to right): Carrie, Mahnee, Chloe, Sophie, Taryn, Emma, Graham, Chris, Andrew, Ishii.
Home Made EmpanadasHome Made Empanadas
Home Made Empanadas

We'll probably be sick of these after 5 months, but these ones were amazing!


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb