Carlos Pelligrini (3 of 3)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Fe » Carlos Pellegrini
October 14th 2006
Published: December 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hostal Hostal Hostal

Our authentic Northern Argentina hostal made of the materials from he wetlands
Dear all:

The year of 2006 is rapidly coming to an end and I can hardly believe that I have now embarked on my journey throughout South America!

As you have already noticed, I have been postponing my travel blogs since mid-October mostly due to my hectic semester in Buenos Aires. Now that I have completed my academic semester, I will be catching up on my previous travel blogs and sending them to you...I should have updated all of them for a fresh start for the year 2007! You can therefore expect several different travel blogs from me in the next days!

Let's now begin with this update!

Carlos Pelligrini

This travel blog consists of the third and last chapter of a 10-day adventure in the Northern provinces of Missiones and Corrientes. After admiring the impressive Iguazu waterfalls and visiting the historic Jesuit ruins of San Ignacio, we arrived in the magical wetlands of Carlos Pelligrini. (For those who would like to consult my previous travel blogs, you can read them by clicking on the respective icon.)

We left the bus station in Posadas at the end of the afternoon in a 4x4 to travel
HostalHostalHostal

A truly warm place to sleep in while feeling close to nature.
three hours on a dirt road to arrive to the calm village of Carlos Pelligrini built in a middle of the Argentinean famous wetlands. The trip to the wetland was by itself a guided tour as the driver was very knowledgeable of the region; he provided us with interesting explanations on this specific of part of Argentina while stopping the vehicle several times to show us the nocturnal animals and let us hear the sound of the night...the bugs and frogs were singing and thousands of stars were illuminating the dark night...it was truly magical!

We finally arrived at our authentic hostal managed by an enthusiastic porteña who welcomed us warmly. After a quiet night, we awoke to an early breakfast and went to visit the park. On our way to the reserve, we observed several caimans and carpinchos bathing in the cold mud of the wetlands to keep their body cool from the warm day. Once on the trails, we looked up in the trees to observe several families of yellow monkeys; the babies were playing and skillfully jumping from one branch to another while the parents were relaxing. At the exit of the trail, several colourful birds
HostalHostalHostal

Reading outside and listening to the birds... and forgetting about the hectic life Buenos Aires!
were screaming apparently at us... but after a moment, we understood that they were warning the presence of a small cat slowly approaching. This wild "cat/leopard" animal was getting closer and closer to me without any fear! We later learned that it was a "gato montes", a rare wild feline the size of a domestic cat...This place is undoubtedly blessed with a rich fauna!

In the afternoon, we boarded a small "lancha" to visit the middle of the wetland and observe very closely the animals living in this particular environment. A multitude of caimans, carpinchos, deers, and birds were quietly eating while we were traveling through the wetland. Fortunately, we did not see any anacondas or piranas...The guide brought us on a particular piece of land to make us walk on this "trampoline" land made of roots and grasses. We returned from this water trip with the red sunset in the background of the wetlands...and ended the day with a rich homemade caneloni at the well-known comedor of the village owned by the so-called "gorditos"!

The next morning, our 15-year old guarani guide brought our horses to the hostal to make us discover another part of the wetlands.
Carlos PelligriniCarlos PelligriniCarlos Pelligrini

Typical roads of this calm village...
We went horseback riding in fields filled with ant nests, palm trees and horses and had the privilege to observe very rare birds such as the "enormous black bird", yellow cardinal and ground owl. Returning home through the rice fields, we learned from our guide that the language spoken in the village was guarani while the school was teaching castellano.

After this wonderful 10-day adventure in these Northern provinces, I came back to our apartment in the capital thinking about the magical places I have visited and became aware that Buenos Aires is far from being representative of the immense country of Argentina...




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Carlos PelligriniCarlos Pelligrini
Carlos Pelligrini

Peaceful and colourful landscape...
El gato montésEl gato montés
El gato montés

This small wild cat got very close...but I had absolutely no desire to pet him!
El gato montésEl gato montés
El gato montés

Don't be fool by this apparently domesticated cat...the beautiful fur of this feline will remind you that it is a wild animal!
El carpinchoEl carpincho
El carpincho

This slow and friendly animal can be described as a "beaver/wild pig/musk rat" herbivore whose skin is widely used for shoes, purses, belts...some people even told me that its meat is delicious!
CaimanCaiman
Caiman

Even if these animals are found at every corner of the wetland, it is always impressive to observe them closely...
The wetlandsThe wetlands
The wetlands

A view from the lancha: wetland filled with carpinchos, birds, deers and caimans...
Our 15-year old guarani guideOur 15-year old guarani guide
Our 15-year old guarani guide

On our way to another beautiful part of the wetland...
Horseback ridingHorseback riding
Horseback riding

The wind is blowing through the palm trees under which horses are grazing...another magical moment!


31st December 2006

way to go
hey it is morning here on the last day of 2006 you sure have seen a lot and experoensed iven more the best from Ove and Birte Hi to Annette ,scott and Jason.

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb