Iberas Marshes


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Fe » Carlos Pellegrini
January 12th 2007
Published: January 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola

We left Iguazu and headed for the Iberas Marshes - this was kind of my idea because of the fantastic wildlife on offer. We knew it would be a long trek but not quite as bad as it was - a ten hour bus journey, followed by a 3 hour bus journey, followed by another 3 hours bus journey (this time in a very old, beat up bus on a very rough gravel track that kept dissapearing into vast pot holes).

Anyway after all that i can say that it was utterly worth it. The wildlife was unbelievable - Capybaras (or brown moomins as Heather called them), Caimen, marsh deer, howler monkeys and loads of different birds species. To Heathers delight there were also hundreds of frogs and toads, including a huge toad (the size of a cantaloup melon) that kept sitting on the doorstep each night. I believe we have a photo of heather kissing one.......

The sunsets were the most amazing things i have ever seen, we went out onto the lake in a canoe to watch one of them. Something I´ll never forget. See the photos.

In one of the small towns we stayed in on the way to the marshes there was an annual pilgrimage festival to the shrine of Gaucho Antony Gil. A famous cowboy who fought for the rights of the workers and who was executed for stealing to give to the poor. people queue for days to leave gifts at the shrine - from empty lemonade bottles to wedding dresses. It was like a s American Glastonbury as the festival goes on for 3 days with thousands of people camping. I can only imagine the toilets.......

Went to watch Casino Royale in a casino in Corrientes (on our way out to Trelew and the Valdes Peninsular). Great film.

more soon.

P&H
X


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th January 2007

glasto
i won't be going to glastonbury as i won't be finished for the summer by then. Let me know if you need me to sort anything out for you at this end for your application. ah well, better get back to doing my school work - i suppose you are having a beer, lazing around....

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb