El Calafate and Glacier Perito Moreno


Advertisement
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola a todos,

today I visited the amazing Perito Merino Glacier in Parque Nacional Los Glaciers Now I was impressed with the Glaciers in New Zealand and Norway, but nothing really comes close to the Glaciers here in Patagonia! WOW! The fact that Perito Moreno alone covers an area of 257 sqkm, is 30 KM long, 55 m high and 4-5 km wide and is not the biggest in the Patagonian Icefield is amazing! I know that you will enjoy the pictures, but now imagine the sounds of ice breaking off the glacier and falling into the lake! Since the Glacier moves about 2 m in a day, building size icebergs fall off and float in the lake, and the noise is just amazing! And although most glaciers in the world are currently receding, Perito Moreno is considered "in equilibrium", meaning that it gains and loses as much ice in any given year. The really cool thing is that below the lake, the glacier goes down to a depth of another 110 meters! And as I said this is not the biggest, Glacier Upsala has a depth of 600m. Truly a spectacular phenomenon, and one can almost imagine the iceages of the past!

So now once again, I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking. I am off to Torres del Paine in Chile tomorrow and more on that in a few days.
Chau y buenos noches. SL


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

and then a whiskey on the"rocks" and then a whiskey on the"rocks"
and then a whiskey on the"rocks"

what a cool way to end the mini-trekking


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb