Dynamic natural wonder


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View of Lago ArgentinoView of Lago ArgentinoView of Lago Argentino

On our way to the glacier
Just to give a quick background on what this glacier thing really is (since I didn´t understand all of it before I got there)

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perito_Moreno_Glacier

"The Perito Moreno Glacier is one of only three Patagonian glaciers that are not retreating. Periodically the glacier advances over the L-shaped "Lago Argentino" ("Argentine Lake") forming a natural dam which separates the two halves of the lake when it reaches the opposite shore. With no escape route, the water-level on the Brazo Rico side of the lake can rise by up to 30 meters above the level of the main lake. The enormous pressure produced by this mass of waters finally breaks the ice barrier holding it back, in a spectacular rupture event. This dam/rupture cycle is not regular and it naturally recurs at any frequency between once a year to less than once a decade."

Took a bus to the viewing decks for the Perito Moreno glacier and when we got of the bus... I had no idea that this thing was so huge. Just incredibly breathtaking- big mountain of ice that extends past where the eye can see. With the sun constantly moving in and out of the clouds, the colors reflecting on the glacier change all day long. As the sun also melts the ice, the lack of sun then refreezes pieces of the glacier. All the pressure of the advancing glacier causes large pieces of the glacier to break off and fall into the water.

First, you hear this loud cracking water and then you scan the huge face of the glacier to see exactly where the piece will fall from, and it comes crashing down into the water creating a decent sized wave that pushes toward the shore.

I was mesmorized and stood there watching the glacier for almost 3 hours. To me, glaciers are like volcanoes. They are dynamic and change right before your eyes. They are the more entertaining of the natural wonders.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Perito Moreno GlacierPerito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier

From far away. I took lots of fotos thinking that this was it... little did I know that we were gonna get REAL close
Rock formed from Glacier Rock formed from Glacier
Rock formed from Glacier

With mountains in back... the contrast was so amazing
Trekkers on GlacierTrekkers on Glacier
Trekkers on Glacier

Maybe you can see Vicky there? She took different excursion and got to trek on the glacier... I could see them from my boat tour
GlacierGlacier
Glacier

Notice two big blue blocks in middle in the water... they just broke apart and were bobbing up and down in water
Parilla!Parilla!
Parilla!

Who could ever think that 2 girls could eat all this meat? On the menu it says "Para dos personas" They were crazy!
Vicky and her dogVicky and her dog
Vicky and her dog

Vicky found her own version of Pirata- this dog followed her for her whole morning run and then waited outside the hotel until we were ready to go shopping. So cute.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb