HUGE ice cubes


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Iceberg 1Iceberg 1Iceberg 1

View of blue glaciers from the boat trip

HUGE ice cubes

 South America » Argentina » El Calafate » Perito Moreno Glacier By lisalisasf
April 10th 2007
Lisa Englert
After getting our fill of the big city- Vicky and I hopped on a plane and headed to El Calafate, which is at the southern tip of Patagonia in Argentina. Not the furthest you can go, but close to it. People go there to see glaciers, but not much else is happening in this little town that is very similar to Tahoe or any other mountain town.

The first day we headed off on a boat trip with the rest of the elderly people visiting El Calafate. Despite being the youngest people on the trip, we had a blast- and both of us were fascinated by the beauty of these glaciers.

The quotes on the photos speak for themselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Milky green waterMilky green water
Milky green water

The water is a beautiful color resulting from the minerals that sledge off the mountains and glaciers into the sea. Quite a contrast to dark rocks.
Boat dockedBoat docked
Boat docked

dropping us off for a 30 minute walk through a forest on our way to the glacier lake
Me in forest Me in forest
Me in forest

With my walking cast on- gotta keep on goin! The elderly couple almost passed us on the walk, but we surged ahead.
Glacier lakeGlacier lake
Glacier lake

Without many glaciers or icebergs in it. Is this yet another result of global warming?
Iceberg 3Iceberg 3
Iceberg 3

So blue!
Iceberg 5Iceberg 5
Iceberg 5

This one is my favorite from the day on the boat. Such beautiful colors and shapes... and huge. Bigger then it looks in photo.
V & L @ GlacierV & L @ Glacier
V & L @ Glacier

Okay, yes, we are dressed alike. We were trying to confuse all the elderly tourists who were on our boat.
Iceberg 7Iceberg 7
Iceberg 7

So pretty!
Glacier Glacier
Glacier

Glacier- in simple explanation, it is connected to land, so the icebergs break off of this.
Ride homeRide home
Ride home

Contrast of the dry landscape that surrounds this area full of glaciers. I was surprised there weren´t more trees, but instead flat areas of land.
El Calafate FriendsEl Calafate Friends
El Calafate Friends

Diego (de Argentino/Italia), Lisa, Sebastian (de Espana), and Vicky


23rd April 2007

clothes
Vicky and Lisa dress alike. Has anyone seen them in the same place at the same time?

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb