Oh look, there´s another glacier!!


Advertisement
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I don´t want to sound spoiled but we have seen A LOT of glaciers... They surrounded us at every turn in Antarctica - so many in fact most of them don´t even have names. We´ve seen icebergs calve, we´ve climbed up icy hills surrounded by penguins, attacked by skuas and watched carefully by cranky looking fur seals. We walked for 3 and half hours to be rewarded with Grey´s Glacier on the W (definitely worth it, even in the horizontal sleet and 40 knot winds). But on arrival in El Calafate we just had to to to the Perito Moreno Glacier.
We started the tour somewhat dubiously. It was a big bus with lots of loud, annoying people. The glacier´s lookouts were full of people and a man cutting wood with a chainsaw (love the serenity...). We seemed to be the only people there to experience the glacier and not argue with each other in rapid German or Spanish. We grabbed a few quiet moments to enjoy our "Patagonian Moments". So many hours of quiet in Antarctica and the W has definitely made us hate noisy crowds... All that aside, the glacier was spectacular. We walked all around it, even managed to hear some crackling, before enjoying (?) our lunch and hopping on a boat. Still very aware of the real touristy feel, we commenced our "mini-trek" up the glacier. Our dubiousness changed when we came across a massive sink hole with the most brilliant blue and white colours. It must contain magical powers as after that the trip suddenly became wonderful. But then again it may have just been the whiskey and chocolates. Loving the glacier anyway! :-)
USB technology has not quite reached El Calafate and my limited Spanish does not cover questions of a technical nature, so once again my photos remain stored on my flash drive apart from the one photo I managed to upload the other day before the computer crashed. Photos to follow I promise!!!
It was also my lovely sister´s birthday today so Happy Birthday Lisa!!! xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The GlacierThe Glacier
The Glacier

What's everyone taking photos of?


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb